IGNORED

More efficient AC condenser

Ben's Z

Has anyone upgraded their 280z OE condenser to something more efficient? When I do my engine swap along with my engine bay repaint I am going to really work on my AC system. I have a leak somewhere, so everything in the engine bay will get refurbished or replaced. I thought there might be a condenser that is the same size as the OE one, but perhaps is off something newer and more efficient.

Pretty much anything you can mount up will work. You might find an aluminum one off of a newer car at a junk yard or just buy a generic one online. Im not sure how much more efficient a new one would be but you have the opportunity to get one of a larger size. Changes to the capacity of your condenser will alter the amount of refrigerant you need to insert later, you will have to add based on how much pressure is created instead of just a set amount.

heres the first place online i found that have generic condensers:

http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/ac/painted-black-aluminum-109.php

• 3 months later...

I was trying to replace my a/c condenser today because it was leaking. I looked through ebay and found this for 77 280z. Base on the picture, It looks exactly as the OEM. Does anybody has this in their 280z installed? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Replacement-Air-Condition-AC-A-C-Condenser-Condensor-For-2-8-L6-GAS-/130696518505?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A280Z&hash=item1e6e1e9b69&vxp=mtr#vi-ilComp

Ben, the only practical way that I have found is to replace with a OEM style and then use an electrical fan. The electrical fan will push more across the condenser even when the car is sitting still, this lowers the compressor head pressure and makes the system get super chilly. That is my approach, you can check out my setup when you help me with my new compressor. :)

I was trying to replace my a/c condenser today because it was leaking. I looked through ebay and found this for 77 280z. Base on the picture, It looks exactly as the OEM. Does anybody has this in their 280z installed? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Replacement-Air-Condition-AC-A-C-Condenser-Condensor-For-2-8-L6-GAS-/130696518505?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A280Z&hash=item1e6e1e9b69&vxp=mtr#vi-ilComp

I believe that is the one I used when I replaced mine a couple years ago. It fit correctly with a minor trim to one tab. The hard line that goes through the core support on the drivers side is not as long as the stock one, so the support did not bolt up, but have not had problems with it otherwise.

Depends if you are retaining the R-12 or if you have switched to R-134a. Condensers for R-134a have more and smaller diameter tubing - and are usually refered to as "uni-flow" units. If you have, or are converting to R-134a I'd get a condenser designed for that.

FWIW,

Carl B.