LED Taillight Swap - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

LED Taillight Swap

Featured Replies

I removed the Dave Irwin LED taillights from 721, planning to install in the "new" Z. Brought along the LED flasher that worked in 721, too. Guess what? They no workie! The "new" Z is a 10/70 '71. Any thoughts or comments, 'cause I'm stumped?

Could you have reversed polarity somewhere? LEDs don't like reversed polarity.

  • Author

I tried both sides of the flasher. Got a buzzer going off with one configuration, nothing with the other. The hazards cause one LED taillight to fully blink, while the other only lights up about a third.

Was everything on the "new" car functioning before you attempted the swap? I've found that a bad hazard switch, or one that is not in the correct position can wreak havoc on the turn signal system.

  • Author

Everything worked before I plugged in the LED taillights and flasher and everything works after I changed back. Guess I'll wait 'til Dave gets back from MSA to ask more. Thanks for the thoughts.

Was everything on the "new" car functioning before you attempted the swap? I've found that a bad hazard switch, or one that is not in the correct position can wreak havoc on the turn signal system.
S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Go back to the basics. First, verify that you get voltage to the tail-light connectors. If you have voltage at the connectors, then just run 12V from the battery to the tail-lights to see what's working and what's not.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.