IGNORED

blowing tail/park light fuse new gremlin

johnbell47

I have been blowing park light fuses at random for a year, sometimes will be o.k. for a month, sometimes a day. I have done Dave's parking light upgrade and my own headlight relay upgrade. Everything worked good after the upgrades, but now, two months later we are back to blowing the fuse. The good thing is now I have a hard short and can't hold the fuse at all. This is the wierd part: If I unplug The C-3 (black) firewall connector the fuse will hold. If I leave this one plugged in (C-3) and unplug the C-1 and C-5 (green both):ermm: lighting connectors it still blows the dang fuse..Any Ideas?

My short was caused by a screw mounting the rear speaker behind the back side panel, someone had used a longer drywall screw to mount it, and had gone through the tail light wiring harness. After the basics it is usually something that man has touched that goes wrong.

Start tracing, you will find the cause.

I found it. It was the light feed to the console. I unplugged C-3 and jumpered one pin at a time till i found the one that sparked. I had hooked an old ammeter in place of the fuse, so I could see when it pegged. I cut the wire and killed the short. That wire goes to the light in the ashtray in the console. I'll run a new wire over there, fixed.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been without parking, tail and side marker lights for awhile and finally got around to disconnecting every light but the ones in the dash harness. Prior to this I had swapped in another combo and turn signal switches (my low beams weren't working either!).

So today I popped in a 20amp fuse and for once it didn't melt or crack. While I sat in the car I happened to notice the cig light and for some strange reason decided to turn the dimmer switch. Flicker, flicker. So I turn it to full dash light and connect one rear taillight, then a side light and the parking/turn signal lights. All work now!

So now I install Dave's H4 harness (removing the one I got more than 6 yrs a go from Black Dragon) and low and behold I have low beams as well.

Thanks for the great, simple to install product and your helpful advice.