Rear end "clunk"',.....I'm at a total loss!! - Page 2 - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Rear end "clunk"',.....I'm at a total loss!!

Featured Replies

I have the same issue and have replaced front diff mount and all bushings and have torqued everything-still have the clunk. I had the car on a rack, put the parking brake on and kept putting it into gear while a friend (a competent mechanic) listened and watched. He thought the movement was coming from within the strut canister. I have tightened then gland nuts to no avail. I probably need a shim on the strut but I am not yet in the mood to pull everything apart just yet.

Sounds to me like the diff, it's a good time to Change your fluid anyway right.

I put my rear wheels on ramps, put the car in top gear and crawled under, I rocked the car back and forth, then had a helper rock the crap out of it and finally saw the slack was int he moustache bar bolts on the back of the diff. I pulled them, loctited em and torqued the bejeezus out of em. Tried again and found that the other end of the moustache bar had movement and clunk also. Fixed that and no more clunk. I don't guess I need to tell you to not let the dang car fall off the ramps and smush you, do I?

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.