IGNORED

Historic \ Club Rego in NSW

khughes

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if any of you have looked into a Historic rego in NSW? I know Jim was looking into this for his C10.

Ha Ha... i wish the 240K was finished!

I need to find a way of keeping my 1970 240Z registered this year, hoping it will lower my rego, 3rd party and insurance costs since i am really lucky to get the car out more than 3 times a year.. and unfortunately don't see the situation changing this year :(.

I believe you need to have paid club membership, does anyone know if CSA is accepted in NSW? i havn't really been outside of these forums now for a bit (out of touch a little!)

Kent

I had hoped that SAU or CSA were possibilities, but according to the latest official list (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vehiclesheet/historic_vehicle_clubs_policy.pdf)

the current options seem to be :

Z Car club Sydney (http://www.zcarclub.com.au/) - forums are a ghost town, social organiser just resigned due to clubs direction.. doesn't sound good!

Datsun Sport Owners association (http://www.dsoa.org.au/) - scratch them.. they are roadster only

Sydney Datsun Club (http://www.sydneydatsunclub.com/) - require attending 2 events per year and seem pretty organised!

there are also a bunch of non datsun related clubs.. but i am not sure if they would be funny about non-marque cars

The Z car club seems to be the logical choice, but their website looks initially quite poor so may be hard to do the research (anyone here know anybody in it?).

It would be nice to be able to take the car to club events (i presume that means only events such as show's etc. rather than drive days etc.), but the choice of club is very important there.

The other option is of course, just de-register the car (with lay up insurance).. either way i presume when you move to full insurance again, you would have to blue slip it (not that that is in anyway difficult!).. i still like the idea of it being active rather than just a pile of metal not being able to go anywhere!

I believe the advantages of historic rego are basically registration and CTP for <$100 a year

Kent

Edited by khughes

I wish i could :) we get ripped in NSW for rego!

In all seriousness though.. it looks like it may just be too hard for now.. i presume that you don't have to pay stamp duty on a car that you previously had registered.. in which case i might de-register it until i have the time/money to fix the bits that are niggling at me and preventing me from driving it more often :( for now i have a safe place to park it up that doesn't require registration.

• 1 month later...

The Classic Rego scheme in NSW is basically run by the car clubs, not the RTA. that means that different clubs have different rules. Most marque clubs don't care what you drive. I had my rally car on classic rego with the Mini Car Club Of NSW. (some good info on their website - www.miniclub.com.au) I had full rally mods including 3 webers, R31 era wheels, Valiant/Verada/commodore brakes that I built myself, a 27 point rollcage etc etc etc.

some car clubs self inspec the cars - others expect pink slips. In the case of the MCC you needed a pink slip, but there are some that don't even do that. most will expect you to turn up to a car club even once or twice a year, but again - the rules are set by the clubs. so shop around car clubs.

but there's a sting in the tail, which is the RTA rules. Although, as I said the RTA don;t administer it, they do have some strict restriction on the vehicles use, and they go something like this:

you can dive your car from its usual place of residence to and from any event which is listed on your clubs events. (web or magazine) in most cases if you're in the MCC and you want to go to a Zed club event, just notify the club secretary, and they note it int he register as a club event and you're in.

you can drive your car to and from place of repair by shortest direct route.

you can drive for purposes of testing within 5km of your home.

and that's about it. if you want to go to work in your car, you will be unregistered, and uninsured.

And if you think you can get away with it - think again. there is bound to be some stale old bugger between your house and work, who has a 1940 Austin 7 on club plate who knows the rules, who's prepared to ring the cops on you.

but if you want to use your car for club events its a very good way of going.

Thanks Matt,

that is a very good response.. and since i have only been able to find very little information on some of the club websites, it is a great help!

At this point i think i am going to probably end up completely de-registering the car and putting it away in some type of storage for a couple of years.. or atleast until i can get the small bits of rust that i know about and paint blemishes all fixed up. Atleast then it takes away ANY temptation to start playing with the car (including the triple webers sitting there for it) and pushes me into doing what i can on the 240k again ;)

Kent