Differential Removal & Alignment - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Differential Removal & Alignment

Featured Replies

I am going to remove the differential to give me more access to clean things up and

before I unbolt the axles and driveline, do I need to mark these so when I bolt them all back up they go on the same position they came off or is it just the driveline that is necessary.

I assume the driveline will also slide out of the transmission when I do this. Does this also have to be marked so it goes in the trans at the exact same location?

Thanks.

This is becoming quite the "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" story. "If You Give A Guy A Z ......" LOL

Mark both ends. If you have an auto your d shaft can be withdrawn from the trans, if it is a std. you can just leave the "U" joint hooked up and lower the rear of the shaft. ( After disconnecting the "U" joint of course. )

I am going to remove the differential to give me more access to clean things up and

before I unbolt the axles and driveline, do I need to mark these so when I bolt them all back up they go on the same position they came off or is it just the driveline that is necessary.

I assume the driveline will also slide out of the transmission when I do this. Does this also have to be marked so it goes in the trans at the exact same location?

Thanks.

This is becoming quite the "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" story. "If You Give A Guy A Z ......" LOL

Don't know what year you have, but...

Yes, mark all three shafts at both ends if possible. The two half-shafts (aka drive shafts) and the drive shaft (aka propeller shaft).

Chris

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.