Hazards come on with the lights - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Hazards come on with the lights

Featured Replies

I am having electrical problems with my 1971 240z. When I turn the headlights on both signal lights start to dimly glow. The electrical system is fairly stock. I've cleaned up the contacts on both the turn switch and the headlight switch.

Has anyone seen this sort of thing before?

You have a bad ground on one or more of the running lights and you are seeing a back voltage where the lights are grounding back through the dash lights. I had a similar problem before I cleaned everything and wired in the headlight relays. Couldnt say where the problem was, just stopped doing it once all the grounds were cleaned.

I hate electrical gremlins! I would start with the turn signal switch - then move to each of the exterior lights one by one - you'll find it eventually. Not an easy way to find issues like that.

Also, get Dave Irwin's headlight relay package. You'll be glad you did.

  • Author

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have Dave's relays on my 1973 daily driver. They work great. My track car is the one with the problem so I very rarely use headlights. I more concerned with electrial reliability than anything. I'll start cleaning grounds this weekend.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.