IGNORED

The Value of a 72 510

CW240Z

I just want to hear some of the opinions you guys have here about the value of a 510. I've watched these cars easily reach 10k+ on Ebay, but most of them are swaps and track cars. What would be a good ballpark for the value of a 1972 510 2 door, 95% original including paint, and is a mechanically sound daily driver? One recently came avaliable in my area and I was wondering what they are going for normally.

This isn't it, but a good reference to the condition of it.

1971_Datsun_510_Stocker_1.jpg

Chase

If it's mechanically sounds, not wicked high mileage, rust is a minimum to nil, for coupe like the one pictured...

I would definitely drop 2500-3000 for it. I can't say what the actual worth is.

Round here one guy is selling a 68 coupe, 69 4dr, and a LOAD of parts for em including wildwood disc brakes, an l16, l20, 4speed and 5speed, plus lots more for 2500. I haven't gone and checked them out because I would be powerless not to buy them however my dad would kill me if I tried to bring another car home :)

Then there is a guy selling a completely primed body ready for paint, comes with all the parts, extras, an L20, 5speed and and a bunch of new chrome pieces as well, he wants 1200.

Anyway that's about as much info as I have, I think like the Z's it's all about demand. I'm sure you can get one for less if it's on craigslist compared to ebay or anywhere that gets less exposure.

Beautiful, great little cars, if one in that condition came up and the owner was willing to let it go for the right price I would be all over it.

Great cars, I've owned a few back in the day. There is little collector value, unless you have a documented SSS car. I agree with others, a nice stock good running driver in good shape would go for $3K plus/minus $1K depending on condition and your ability to negotiate :)

Edited by Healey Z
can't spell worth a darn

Great cars, I've owned a few back in the day.
I owned 5; a 68 4dr. (primered-bad condition but it ran), a 70 2dr. (white-stock except for wheels), a 71 2dr. (blue-period custom-spoiler, air dam, wheels, bra-my favorite-it's somewhere in my gallery here), 72 2dr. (primered-beater daily driver) and a 73 4dr. (lt. green-very clean sold it to my girlfriend back in the day). Great cars, but, like the 810 2dr I had, as rare as those are, and as Healy Z said, very little collector value. Edited by sblake01

I strongly disagree with a 95% original rust free 72 510 being worth $3k. Actually if there is one for that price, let me at it!

I would argue that a 2 door 72 510 original with no rust in good shape would easily fetch $6-7k depending.

Decent cars go for $3k.. I sold my 72 510 with Rebello L20, twin Mikuni 44's, Troy Ermish coilovers, Roadtser 5 speed, in great shape a year ago for $12k and the guy didn't even try to negotiate.

The nicest original 510 I know of is Miss Dottie and was for sale a year or so ago at $11k which I feel was a bargain. 35k original miles, original paint etc. I almost traded mine for it at one time 2 years ago.

510's seem to be extremely highly collectible in great shape. More so that S30's IMO as there are far less nice 510's left in the US than Z's.

I have been actively looking at the values and prices of 510's for the last 10 years.

Some photos of my baby. I plan on owning another one day.

2776122957_ce4d1e3132_b.jpg

3448422649_e128f040ba_b.jpg

3888758820_55ba7b4732_b.jpg

I agree with you five&dime that the 510 is more rare than s30s and can be worth quite a bit. Reguardless if the car has "collector appeal" I wouldn't be getting it with intentions of reselling for profit. I love the cars, and would not hesitate to pay 3k for one.

Five&dime that 112 yellow 240z you have is absolutely amazing, I hope to restore mine to that condition.

Chase

Oh I don't own a Z. My dad (Diseazd) has 4 immaculate Z's and it's probably confusing as in the beginning on this site, I posted for him. You must be talking about his 71 920 safari gold car. Or the lime 72.

I also wouldn't buy a 510 with any care for resale value. But I also probably wouldn't buy one that was less than $5k as it would most likely need too much work unless you found a bargain. Metal work/rust repair is the most annoying and costly repair for any car and I would gladly pay an extra $2-3k up front to avoid months and months and many thousands of $'s fixing those issues.

I love 510's!! I prefer them to S30's any day of the week. (don't everyone yell at me) :) I would get more attention in my car than a Ferrari Enzo or something along those lines. People always wanted to check out the 510 everytime I was at the gas station, grocery store etc.

Edited by five&dime

Reguardless if the car has "collector appeal" I wouldn't be getting it with intentions of reselling for profit.
I never buy a car with that in mind. I buy them for the enjoyment of of owning them. When I no longer have that feeling, I sell them. If I manage to make a profit when I do sell one, that's a bonus.

In the realm of 510 fans, Stock 510s aren't much of a draw. A 1600 4 speed stock suspension bias ply tires car with worn out suspension hardly instills chills up ones spine.

Most 2 doors have been run hard and put away wet hence good candidates to start on are rare. I'd say $2k for a good solid box with all four corners intact, glass intact and here's the kicker, not needing much in the way of weatherstrip would be in order. This is with the understanding a LOT of upgrade work will need to happen to make it the car the average fan really wants to have. Most of what's on the car when purchased will go away and there is no market for stock 510 bits as everyone is playing the upgrade game. We have a shop full of 1600 blocks and heads and four speeds go to the scrap guys..... Oh, and ya want 1600 front struts? There's a pile over there in the corner.

SSS 510 never came here. This was an adaptation JDM item with 38mm Hitachis and different head and cam. Those engines were brought over on that low miler deal years ago. I did buy a complete SSS1800 setup

from the fan clutch to the 5 speed tail shaft for $500

back in the 90's that was the precurser to what's in my wagon now, so even the the upgrade got upgraded.

Finally they are a cute box to hang ungrade parts on. Make 'em go like stink, handle like a slot car and stop when you mash on the brakes. The independent rear suspension is a little iffy however.