IGNORED

Potential buy? what are your thoughts?

Slight

You ask about maintenance costs. I owned a 2001 BMW Z3 2.0i prior to my Z. It was a very nice/fun/cool car, but it was quite complicated. "Complicated" doesn't necessarily just mean "hard to diagnose." The bigger part of "complicated" to me was that there are more parts to break. I could theoretically have had a malfunction with a common safety device I'm legally not at liberty to mention [cough, cough], and that could theoretically have caused a lot of damage and costly repair. Near simultaneous to the theoretical malfunction, the steering angle sensor (component of the dynamic stability control) went out. That would have been another $700 if I hadn't shamed the dealership into fixing it gratis. (The car was in the hands of their mechanics when the SAS went out.) Add this to the list of $1.25 TINY little NOTHING caps that cover the screw heads and must be destroyed everytime a screw is removed -- and the $60 pieces of rubber and plastic -- and all the "because-we-can" price gauging. I simply had ENOUGH!

What I really wanted was my old Z that my ex made me sell back in the '90's. I did my research and found out that parts aren't really so bad. I already knew the car from bumper to bumper, so diagnosis was easy. The car is solid, reliable, and SIMPLE (meaning fewer complicated systems to break). Moreover, even scarce antique parts for the antique Z are cheaper than the BMW parts -- by FAR. They might not be as cheap as parts for a Chevy, but it might be like buying parts for modern Japanese cars, for the most part.

Most major working parts (e.g. alternator, distributor, ignition components, brake components, and other stuff you'd expect to find at an auto parts store) are actually available for the Z. Gaskets are common and are still made for the car. I'm not worried they'll disappear, because I could still get gaskets for my 1932 Chevy coupe if I owned one -- or any other really old car.

So really these cars are quite ownable and practical as a daily driver. Here's the catch, though: Like any old car, any Z you find will probably not be in the best running condition. You'll put in a lot of time and perhaps even a bit of $$$ turning it into a properly functioning car. And then you're there! Maintenance will be similar to -- or cheaper than -- maintenance on modern cars. These old cars ARE a bit fussier than modern cars because of the way they're designed, so you might have to mess with idle speed settings a bit more (for instance). They're also not nearly as efficient as modern cars, nor are they as powerful, in general (although they can be modified for a LOT more power if you have the $$$ and time). But if you're OK driving old technology and paying more for fuel (approx 19 mpg combined city/highway), these cars are GREAT to drive. There's definitely a "cool" factor about them. :)

I also forgot to mention rust/corrosion. That will be the biggest difficulty you will face -- rust holes, frozen bolts, etc. On the plus side, you can actually SEE the engine and reach its working parts without taking half of the engine compartment apart.

I think your decision to pass on the 2+2 was a good one. Keep your eye out on CL. These cars do come around.

yes, I think the novelty of owning a jdm doesn't sway me too much in the matter, I guess my opinion is that

if i am going to buy a summer car, then I should get something that moves me... and classic jdm cars do...

so if i can get best of both worlds; a usdm car thats still a classic jdm... seems like a win win deal..

and thank you FastWoman for laying it out like that, that's what i'm looking for- a car that isn't so complicated that i'll have to pour every single last penny i own to it, something i could take the time to learn more about...a car i'd actually want to invest my time/money into.

and judging from what i've seen, the Z community is something i want to be apart of.