IGNORED

Ideas on cleaning up the engine compartment?

Healey Z

I have two projects in mind and would like your input.

1. I would like a nice clean balance tube, without all the plugged holes and extra and unused mounts. I think ZTherapy has them $160 +$50 core + shipping, which is too much for me. I'm thinking of finding one (anyone have an extra for cheap?), JB weld bolts in them, then grind them flush, a little body work and a coat of paint (like it has now). Thoughts?

2. The air horns on there now look cool and British, but do not offer any air filtering. I'm thinking of fabricating an air cleaner for them and then I can get rid of the do-hickey on the valve cover and run a hose to the air cleaner. Thoughts?

a.engine.jpg

Some ideas:

1. Balance Tube: grind, then weld with aluminum then polish or grind, jb weld, smooth then paint as you suggested. Or get an early 240z balance tube.

2. For air filter, stretch a nylon sock over the mouth

For your fuel lines:

Run the fuel lines below the carbs.

Use a straight piece of polished steel or aluminum line for most of the fuel line run with rubber at the ends for convenient connections

relocate the fuel filter between the pump and the tank

For your plug wires:

dress the plug wires around the front of the motor

For air filtering look at the foam filters that slide over the horns they don't look great but they pull off easily for show.

I don't like the JB weld idea I'd keep an eye out for a non-emissions balance tube or actually weld up the original

Hear are some dress up ideas

Get braided spark plug wire covers the match the wiring harness in the car

Fab up a nice fuel line for the car, and move the filter out of the engine bay

Use wire hose clamps looks more british and japanese

I was looking to see summit had the foam air cleaners I didn't see them but give them a call they are very helpful. What I did see was a lot of different types of velocity stack air filters some were very nice. One I liked had a rubber that held it on on the outside with a hex stainless steel cover, with a thin mesh metal screen and then a cotton filter material for under $15 with free shipping.

By the way how does the side of the engine bay look that can really make a car look cluttered?