IGNORED

Audio system, too big for doors?

lubu

Hey guys, just finishing my paint job and Im thinking of putting a new audio system in. Im getting the Hertz MLK 165 for the front and Critical Mass RS69 for the rear backing by an Mcintosh MC440 amp. I was wondering if I can put the Hertz in the front doors (depth is 8cm and diameter is 16.8cm:tapemouth) a little bit too big for the doors I think, has anyone managed to put anything this big to their doors? If possible can you please post some pics.

As you can see from the pics below, the proper Door Pod can hold a larger speaker and easily achieve the Depth you need. Though there is 1) 5.25" and 1) 4" speaker in each pod, you can likely fit a 6.5" (16.8cm) speaker. The Kick panel pod in front of the door pod has an Alpine 6.5" speaker. The pod is easily removed and put back to stock without pillaging the car.

post-4921-14150816065455_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150816066463_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150816067052_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pics Zs, but with that setup I think the windows crank will fit? That is one massive setup for such a small car, I do like the kick panel pods though, are they custom made or purchasable?

There is a member here at CZCC that sells a plastic version of the kick pods. Mine are Heavy Duty Fiberboard and fiberglass. You can make a door pod to miss the window crank. I have Power windows in my 240Z, so I can go bigger without issues.

Look here....

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?41202-Low-profile-kick-panel-speaker-pods-now-available

Dave

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

• 2 weeks later...
As you can see from the pics below, the proper Door Pod can hold a larger speaker and easily achieve the Depth you need. Though there is 1) 5.25" and 1) 4" speaker in each pod, you can likely fit a 6.5" (16.8cm) speaker. The Kick panel pod in front of the door pod has an Alpine 6.5" speaker. The pod is easily removed and put back to stock without pillaging the car.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47829[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47828[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47827[/ATTACH]

Dave,

Aren't you worried about someone's foot taking out that driver? Or did you pull the grill for illustrative purposes?

Chris

There is a member here at CZCC that sells a plastic version of the kick pods. Mine are Heavy Duty Fiberboard and fiberglass. You can make a door pod to miss the window crank. I have Power windows in my 240Z, so I can go bigger without issues.

Look here....

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?41202-Low-profile-kick-panel-speaker-pods-now-available

Dave

I have a set in my car - fantastic!

Dave,

Aren't you worried about someone's foot taking out that driver? Or did you pull the grill for illustrative purposes?

Chris

The kick panel grill was pulled for the pics. Although, the door pod grill wouldn't stop a foot from penetrating it. But as big as it looks, it's not intrusive at all. There are a few scuff marks on the vinyl but no damage after all this time. The size of it helps people remember to be carefull when getting in.

The kick pod speaker grill is metal but the door pod grill is only speaker grill cloth.

The kick panel grill was pulled for the pics. Although, the door pod grill wouldn't stop a foot from penetrating it. But as big as it looks, it's not intrusive at all. There are a few scuff marks on the vinyl but no damage after all this time. The size of it helps people remember to be carefull when getting in.

The kick pod speaker grill is metal but the door pod grill is only speaker grill cloth.

Yeah, its what you call the kick pod that I would be nervous about. But since it normally has a metal grill, no worries.

Chris