IGNORED

1973 240Z Dash Wiring Problem

matt240Zee

After replacing the dash on my '73, my ignition switch is causing me HUGE grief. I connect the battery, and can go from lock to off to accessory to run no problem. Backing it off, I can go from run to acc to off to lock, but at that point lock is powered. And if i try to remove my key, it want's to start. Got a new ignition switch, same problem.

I've disconnected all under my steering wheel again, just the switch into the 6 pin connector, and it still happens.

Any ideas? Shot relay?

Moderator edit from PM exchange:

Did search, didn't see anything that came close.

I do know the mechanical and electrical components that make up the ignition. They're apart now.

The issue I'm facing is electrical. The ignition switch (both old and a new) is working "backwards and forwards". Once it's powered it doesn't "turnoff". The accessory relay doesn't loose power from the switch until the battery is connected. That's why I mentioned the relay. Going from off to lock also engages the starter. The original dealer install a/c has been removed, so as is typical, the PO created a nightmare.

Was hoping there's someone that might have had this issue and could point me in the right direction.

Edited by EScanlon

Rob/Matt: It sounds as though the wiring going to the electric switch have been "jumbled" OR the wrong switch is being used.

I know that one of the members uploaded a continuity / terminal test check of the ignition switch which would help you determine if it's the switch or not.

Additionally, looking at the wiring schematic would allow you to determine if the right wires are going to the proper terminals.

I added what you had sent to me via PM's to this post, (and I hope no offense is taken), as I felt this explanation did more to clarify the problem, and thereby hoping to get you a solution.

I'll check my stash of pictures and see if I can find the connector pin-out.

E

What might be helpful is if anyone has a picture of all the connections made in the center area of the dash. I'm under the impression that the heater panel harness is seperate from the main dash harness, is that correct? Also on my passenger side i have 2 blue wires with female conectors. Which of those blue connectors should i connect the red wire from the heater harness into? Also there is a blue wire coming off of the 6 pin connector that connects into the fan switch. Is this blue wire for the AC option? Also I have a fairly long blue wire that leads underneath the black box at the back where all the hoses connect into. Anyone know what this is for?

Edited by matt240Zee

All worked until we hanged the dash. Although I initially believed it to be the switch, it doesn't appear to be the case. Gut feeling is there is a wire that is powering the accessory relay and running back to the switch.

Doesn't help that there must have been a sale on blue wire when the PO worked his magic.