IGNORED

Oil sending unit plug

boro92

On my car, there's a redundant oil gauge.

This gauge uses actual oil to detect pressure, and I'm looking to remove this.

However, once removed, I'll need an engine block plug, or oil sending unit plug.

Does anyone happen to know the proper threading and length for the plug? I do not want to take any risks here, and certainly dont want to mess up the threads and send alloy bits into the block!!

Any help appreciated!

Well, we need more information. What year/model is your Z? Do you have any pictures you can upload? Do you want to restore it back to original spec? Without knowing anything more info. I would say that you could find a couple of different Metric bolts and try by hand to see which size is the tightest fit. I would then go with a Brass plug and Teflon tape to seal the port. The Brass is a softer metal and would yield to the block. With that said, I would really, REALLY encourage you to go back to stock and set it up original.

Agreed. I'd like to keep it original.

I was poking around today and it seems to be a 1/8th size in a british standard tapered thread (BSPT), for anyone who encounters the same problem I am having.

To be more clear, this is for the block plug that is infront of the oil filter, right by the engine mount on a '70 240z.

It is 1/8" BSPT and it is the stock location for the electrical oil pressure sending unit. There is a yellow/white wire with a female bullet connector that connects to it from the harness across from it near the pass. side wheel well. I a bit confused by your need to plug it as it sounds like you'll be left with no oil pressure gauge. Do you need a stock dash gauge as well then?