IGNORED

Flasher on a late 73

240ZGL

Ok, so the turn signals are not working on my 73. The electrical system is in good shape, everything lighting wise is working great but no turn signals.

I have seen in other posts where the flasher unit is up under the streering colume and under the dash on the left side but I can't seen to find mine. When I hit the emergency flashers I'm getting the normal clicking but from the relay panel on the passenger side under the dash, just can't figure out which relay it is. Maybe it's a late design change that they did on the 260's, I'm not sure. I do know I don't see anything that looks like a regulare round flasher unit. Anyone out there seen this or knows where I can find it.

My z is later than yours so I would expect them to be similar. On mine the turn signal flasher unit is on the driver side under the dash and the hazard relay on the passenger side. If I remember correctly mine was attached with a single screw through the kick panel. There was a metal flasher unit plugged into a brown plastic thing (I think that's what made noise) and both of those were attached by the one screw. I replaced the whole assembly with an electronic flasher and my turn signals flash much more positively. I replaced mine when my turn signals would light but not flash. When you say they are not working does that mean they don't come on or they don't flash? Hopefully it is just the flasher if not I'd start checking my turn signal sockets for corrosion and possibly take the turn signal switch apart. Both of which I had to do at some point to get mine bright and consistent.

There are 2 flashers. The one for the turn signals is on the drivers side of the steering column. The 4-way flasher is in the passenger side near the right kick panel.

Most flasher units are round, about 1" in idameter and 1" long with two wires.

If the turn signals come on but do not flash it is likely a bad flasher. However, some flashers are load dependent. If a bulb is bad or the wrong type it might not flash.

I will check that area again, thanks. The bulbs are good because the emergency flasher sets all of the off, I just don't get any turn signals at all. It could be the switch but every thing on the column is clean and in good working order, even my alarm when it arms itself flashes the blinker bulbs.

The flasher canister on my 7/73 hangs down a little on the left side of the steering wheel, just right of the hood open pull lever, in line with the clutch. My turn signal problem was the contacts inside the switch.

Just a WAG, could that alarm system have anything to do with it?

Bonzi Lon