IGNORED

Efficiency potential of the L28 (MegaSquirt)

FastWoman

The move to MS is justified by the huge increase in system tunability, not a gas mileage increase, that would be a bonus. You can put in as much fuel and spark advance as you want at any point of your engines operating curve with the press of a button.

And since when does MS cost $1000? You can put together a system at less than half, maybe even a quarter of that price depending on the hardware you get.

Edited by LeonV

Precisely why I don't have the stock cam......:)

Your car list tells me you have a VZ Holden Monaro CV8, well a detuned version anyway (aka 2005 Pontiac GTO).

You'd be in 7th heaven if you had access to the stuff fitted standard to them over here, let alone the aftermarket and HSV variants

Edited by aarc240

Seems to me everyone is overlooking the obvious. You are trying to prepay for fuel economy. You've been watching too many Prius commercials ...

Now don't go and spoil the fun, the other half hasn't yet got wise to the real reason!

Edited by aarc240

Your car list tells me you have a VZ Holden Monaro CV8, well a detuned version anyway (aka 2005 Pontiac GTO).

You'd be in 7th heaven if you had access to the stuff fitted standard to them over here, let alone the aftermarket and HSV variants

I've had the car for almost three years and I've done lots (and I don mean lots!) of research on it. I'm well aware of the differences between the CV8 and the U.S. Pontiac GTO. Mine is not stock. Some of the aftermarket goodies I have in mine actually did come from over there (JHP Vehicle Enhancements) I could go into detail but I think that would be more appropriate on the GTO/Holden sites that I spend time on. My only point for commenting on the LS engine in the first place was to realate how they achieve a smooth idle here in the U.S. Let's get back to Datsuns..... Edited by sblake01

How else would you go about squeezing efficiency out of the L motor without going to internal engine work? Skinny tires, remove the side mirrors, driving habits, AND a modern engine management system? If it's not your daily driver, then don't bother because the payoff will be pretty far away. However, if you want to have fun, learn a ton about IC engines, and push your tuning skills into power and efficiency, an engine management system that is programmable, is an ice cream sundae.

Do it because it's there. :)