IGNORED

Replacing the factory radio

mvroyal

Hi All,

I'm having a real hard time finding a factory radio or getting my radio fixed for my 83ZX. I'm trying to keep the car as original as possible and begin taking it to shows. If I change my radio to a more modern unit and new face plate, does that decrease the value of the car from a collector and show standpoint?

Thanks

It depends. I remember seeing an awsome Camaro with an original, unfilled battery, all the paper tags included on the car prior to dealer prep, reproduction tires, etc., etc. It was a time capsule car, and it was an experience to behold -- a museum piece. The car was very valuable, and yes, a modern radio would have destroyed much of its value. Of course the car had to be trailered everywhere and could not be started and run. I had fun looking at it, but the car was useless to the owner as a car.

The vast majority of antique car owners strike compromises. Unless you own a museum piece, it won't really hurt the value of the car to do the things that car owners frequently do to keep their cars usable and enjoyable: repaint, modern tires, modern rims, modern sound system. The important thing with the sound system is that you don't butcher the body to do the installation.

Many people feel strongly about keeping the original radio, and that's fine. If you want to make an old radio more functional, get a portable CD player or iPod and an FM transmitter to transmit the signal to the radio.

One more note: Your car is an '83 ZX, and as such, it doesn't have the collector value of a 240Z -- and probably never will. The first-generation cars are almost always worth the most. That gives you a bit more latitude for modifications, IMO. I'm in the same boat with my '78 280Z. I wanted a 280, and not a 240, because I wanted the car to be my daily driver. The 280 suits my needs better (more comfortable and reliable a car). I've not been shy about doing a mod here and there. I try to keep my car pretty original looking on the outside and in the cabin, but I've done a number of electrical modifications to improve the functionality of my car. My car will never be a museum piece, but it will retain a certain value as a well maintained daily driver. That works for me. Prior to my 280, I owned a '66 Mustang for which everything seemed to be a struggle to maintain originality. That car wasn't any fun to own.