IGNORED

Master cylinder res. confusion

GIchiro

I have a 1973 240z and I am getting confused on the mastercylinder res cups and the master to prop valve connections.

-Is the larger res cup at the front or rear of the master cylinder?

-Please confirm the larger cup is for the front brakes.

-At the prop valve is the bottom line closest to the firewall go to the front or rear cup at the master cylinder?

-I cannot find a schematic and pic I have seen show the res. cups in both front and rear configurations.

Thanks, GI

The reason you have seen both ways is because 240Zs were built both ways.

The large reservoir is always for the front brakes. The front calipers require more fluid than the rear cylinders do.

The '70-71 240Z had the large reservoir at the front of the cylinder (farthest away from the firewall). The later '72-and-up cars had the large reservoir nearest the master-vac booster.

I don't know if the prop valves are different or not. I know that to use the later master cylinder on an early car you have to reverse the lines to the prop valve. But which line goes where on a '73? I don't know for certain.