IGNORED

gas/brake pedals predicament

darom

Hi guys,

I think I overdid with my sound deadening material, jute padding and a carpet in the gas pedal area. My 10 size shoe rubs against the brake pedal.

The interior has been redone, the carpet/jute padding were glued there since the molded carpet was 'sticking out' too much causing interference with the gas pedal getting stuck on its own. I was afraid I was going to repeat the stuck Toyota's gas pedal syndrome :-).

I found a thread which deals with replacing the pedals with aftermarket parts:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?15438-Pedal-Upgrade&highlight=gas+pedal+move

I am considering a few options:

1. With a BFH and 2x4, hammer down the tunnel metal.

2. Buy the replacement pedal covers hoping their size will be smaller than stock (wishful thinking?)

3. Relocate the brake pedal to the left, if possible? The brake pedal's rod is quite thick, it will be probably hard to bend it.

In your opinion, which one is better or if you have your ideas I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

I've seen some plastic mats and metal mats integrated into the carpet and floor mats in those areas.

What about cutting out a patch of your glued-down carpet and replacing it with a rubber mat material that can be affixed with a silicone sealant for easy removal?

4155999040_406a8627d7.jpg

Ot this sort of extreme solution: http://www.ioffer.com/i/car-floor-mat-aluminium-alloy-pedal-pad-nissan-nismo-153993143

Edited by Blue
pics

Blue, excellent idea - I can fab a nice looking aluminum piece and screw it down to the tranny tunnel hump to push the carpet away. Thanks!

If you are already so thick as to interfear with your foot clearence, I think you should follow Blue's advice and cut away a patch of carpet before you apply the plate. I only say this cause once you try to screw the plate in and find that you can't compress the carpet beneath, you will have ruined the plate and created a bunch of holes that will allow rust to get a foothold. FWIW.