IGNORED

Wiper Motor not working?

Indey

Hi everyone, I have a 76 280z and recently the windshield wiper motor stopped working. I went to click the wipers on, and they went up maybe 1 inch, and then stopped and would not go anywhere. No matter what setting the switch is on, they stay in the same spot. If I try and move them by hand they're very resistant to moving. I checked all the fuses in the fuse box on the passanger side footwell, and despite there being a fuse for wiper motor or something that was blown, that did not fix my problem.. infact it wasnt even correctly labeled im assuming because it turned on the light above the heater controls, and made my alternator charge gauge work, and would never turn off. Regardless, does anyone have any ideas how I can get my wipers working again?

Here is a check list I posted on an Oz site some time ago re wipers: -

1) Disconnect the wiper arm linkage from the rear of the motor, switch it on and check it has reasonable slow and fast speeds.

YES/NO?

2) Now check the mechanical linkage, you should be able to operate the wipers by rotating the motor arm by hand.

(Lift the arms off the screen or remove them to eliminate drag on the glass.)

YES/NO?

NO to 1) means motor is tired.

NO to 2) means that the pivots and linkages need a damn good lubing!

Fixing the pivots is relatively easy, just be patient in getting them apart if they are dry and corroded. Lots of CRC-556 and gentle pressure over several days and they should eventually come apart. There is, or should be, a wuzzy little circlip on the end of the shaft, remove and ditch it. Replace it with a decent external circlip from CBC.

Wire brush the shafts, thoroughly clean the tubes, lube it all with PH Zinc Oxide grease, check for smooth rotation and finally fit new weather boots to the shafts.

Applies to any car really;)

As a point of interest, later model Nissans have nylon wiper pivot bushings which will "never" require maintenance.

My 1985 B120 ute and my 1993 R33 Skyline have these.

Alloy housings + steel shafts + time + corrosion = :tapemouth

My wiper motor needs the full 14.8 volts from a running engine and turning alternator to work correctly. The blades will stick like yours on just battery power. You might try starting the engine and revving it up a little to at least get the wipers back to their resting spot. In the long run, you'll probably need to do more but it might get you by for while.

My wiper motor needs the full 14.8 volts from a running engine and turning alternator to work correctly. The blades will stick like yours on just battery power. You might try starting the engine and revving it up a little to at least get the wipers back to their resting spot. In the long run, you'll probably need to do more but it might get you by for while.

I tried this and unfortunately it did not work, I'm going to try taking it apart and going through it/ re lubricating parts etc

Thanks for the input guys!