IGNORED

Replaced injectors

Pomorza

Hey guys.

I finally bit the bullet and bought new fuel injectors for my Z. I ended up replacing them earlier today. Took many pictures of what I've done but can't find the device that gets them off my camera, I'll post them later. Car seems to drive as it did before, with some odd running on restart which I had before.

Jan

What kind of injectors did you use? After trying aftermarket and rebuilt injectors, I've found new OEM Nissan injectors by far to be the best as far as performance and reliability. They're kind of hard to find and a bit pricey but I have them in both of my '78 coupes and couldn't be happier. Both cars run like new.

The fuel injectors that I bought are from MSA. Supposedly they are made by a company called Pacer and are brand new. I can't complain as they are not nearly as noisy as the older ones were. The previous injectors I had were made by python (or well it was written on them) and were not all they great. As you can see from the photo there is a difference in the size of the new ones and the older ones.

I pulled both the fuel rails when I did this and would suspect that this maybe the easiest way to do it. Of the old injectors only three (3) were not leaking at some point. All three were leaking externally and I suspect at least one was leaking internally.

Things I've noticed. The Z starts better. I only have to hold the key for a split second and bam that car is on. Secondly the fuel pressure stays constant after letting it sit at ~32. The throttle response is a bit better. I haven't take the Z for a long trip but it seems that all the new injectors are at least two times quieter than the one I removed.

Thanks

Jan

P.S

If anyone needs me to explain the process I used I'll be happy to

post-19999-14150813351626_thumb.jpg

post-19999-14150813352299_thumb.jpg

post-19999-14150813352977_thumb.jpg

post-19999-14150813353564_thumb.jpg

post-19999-14150813354153_thumb.jpg

post-19999-14150813354764_thumb.jpg

post-19999-1415081335537_thumb.jpg

post-19999-14150813355999_thumb.jpg

post-19999-14150813356606_thumb.jpg

I just bought new injectors, o rings, and quick disconnects for my 1978 280z car. I would like to chat with you about this process. It seems fairly straightforward. but then again, I am NOT a mechanic. I am slowly learning how to replace things in my Z car. It sounds like they didnt make very much of a difference though on your vehicle, thats kind of a bummer though.

I have been reading more and more on this forum about how the old, tired electrical connections and corrosion can make the car behave like a crazy car on crack. Cause performance problems, running rich, running lean, lights not working, things cutting out...etc So I am in process of cleaning up all main connectors and connections. However I would love to replace my fuel injectors myself in the next few weeks.

Pomorza, let me know if you got time to chat with me. Maybe even in the real world on a phone call (gasp) LOL

Edited by argniest

What kind of injectors did you use? After trying aftermarket and rebuilt injectors, I've found new OEM Nissan injectors by far to be the best as far as performance and reliability. They're kind of hard to find and a bit pricey but I have them in both of my '78 coupes and couldn't be happier. Both cars run like new.

Where did you get your OEM nissan injectors. Dont tell me nissan still sells them????

• 1 year later...

Things I've noticed [after replacing the fuel injectors]. The Z starts better. I only have to hold the key for a split second and BAM! that car is on. Secondly the fuel pressure stays constant after letting it sit at ~32. The throttle response is a bit better. I haven't take the Z for a long trip but it seems that all the new injectors are at least two times quieter than the one I removed.

A day after FINALLY getting my new injectors installed and working, what I'm noticing ON MINE is:

A) A lower, smoother, idle. (Probably MORE due to all the vacuum leaks I sealed in the process, like cracked PCV hose, old rigid hoses on thermovalve, etc. I actually had to dial up the idle a bit.

B) New injectors a lot quieter.

C) Throttle response --- ahh, not enough change for me to discern.

D) BAM! Starts instantly. I also replaced the CSV, and when I tested the old one, it wouldn't click. That probably has a LOT to do with it.

E) I haven't put a gauge on it yet to see if it's holding pressure better, but it sure seems so.

F) I'm hoping for an added 1-2mph improvement due to better cylinder balance.

This job took about 3 times as long as planned for with one of my new injectors failing, having to replace injector connector wires, etc. Kinda like labor, hopefully the baby makes it all worthwhile.

I sure did miss driving my Z for two weeks!