IGNORED

Brake lights won't turn off

Sweetpea

Encountering a situation where my rear brake lights will not turn off... have attempted to pump the brakes (that are functional otherwise) in an attempt to loosen any pressure switch that may be stuck - brake lights are still on.

Suggestions from the peanut gallery where I might continue working the issue? Would prefer not to break the brake line circuit if I don't need to.

Thanks much folks & Happy Turkey Day!!

Steve

This is probably due to what is actually a fairly common problem. I'll combine a couple of answers given by Jeff G 78 and EScanlon a couple of years ago:

(EScanlon): There's a plastic stud that contacts the brake switch plunger. Yours probably fell off. Look at the brake pedal and where it contacts the brake switch.

(Jeff G 78): As a quick (or permanent) fix, simply replace the button with a small bolt and nut. You can either buy a new plastic button at the dealer, or leave the bolt and nut. Mine has been a bolt for years. Other than non-originality, it works perfect