IGNORED

Newwb carb question?

KAL7467

OK just picked up this 71 and noticed that the adjuster on the front carb seems to be missing a spring on the lever opposite of where the adjustment screw is. I am pointing to the hole where I believe one end of the spring goes. my question is "where does the other end of the spring go" I assume somewhere above the lever to cause tension but don't know much about carbs so thought I would ask someone who does. looked at a ton of pics on this forum but cant seem to find one close enough up from the right angle...thanks in advance...also do I need to take the whole air cleaner box off to identify what type carbs they are or can it be recognized by the pics below?

PB150205.jpg

PB150206.jpg

PB150207.jpg

PB150208.jpg

cool guys thanks I assume one of the previous owners removed the emissions device since it is not required here in Georgia but since the car is from California it was prob required there...does that sound right? is there any advantage to not having it there? Also if it helps identifying the carbs there is a raised japan e46 stamp with a symbol(Hitachi) 2 on the manafold

Edited by KAL7467

If it's the part depicted in the photo that Mike posted (which I believe it is), it's part of the throttle opener system (vacuum control valve & servo diaphragm) that is part of the emission control system. Many people have removed the equipment years ago along with the air pump. Some just disabled the air pump, closed-off the exhaust injector lines and left the equipment in place.

There's really no reason to restore the system. I have the throttle opener still installed on my car, but it's not functioning. If I get bored one evening during the winter, I'll polish the balance tube and in the process remove the non-functioning equipment.