IGNORED

Struts Needed for 1979 Datsun 810 2 Door Coupe

vjones

Here is a picture of the 1979 Datsun 810 2 Door Coupe. We have since added some rims/tires, and other items. The vehicle runs great and only has a little over 88,000 original miles!

We just need to replace the struts and shocks, but haven't had much luck finding parts.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thank you.

post-22589-14150812267869_thumb.jpg

Hello fellow 810 coupe owner!

There are several other two-door 810 owners out there. Most of us post at the HybridZ forum or the Japanese Nostalgic Car forums:

http://www.japanesenostalgiccar.com/

http://hybridz.org/

To answer your request I will inform you that the 1977-80 810 and the 1981-84 910 (Maxima) and the 1979-83 280ZX all can use the same rear shocks. The 280ZX shocks should be easier to locate. I am even using 280ZX rear springs on my 810.

I assume that you need a front strut insert for your 810. The strut is generally considered the entire tube with the insert (dampener) and the spring.

Your 810 uses the KYB 365012 (gas) or 665011 (oil) insert and the Tokico catalog lists part number HZ3002 (gas) for the 810 front insert. But the last time I checked, these were not readily available anymore.

However, you can use the 280ZX front strut insert on your 810. The difference between the 810 strut and the 280ZX strut is only in the length. The 810 strut insert is longer than the 280ZX by about one inch. So, you can use the 280ZX strut insert provided you make up the difference with a suitable spacer (or a stack of washers) in the bottom of the 810 strut tube.

Attached is a photo of my 810:

post-11468-14150812268478_thumb.jpg

Edited by zcarnut

Thank you Steve! I was hoping you saw my post! I will mention this to our mechanic and get it started! You car looks just like ours!

What all do I need to modify to get the strut assembly on in the front? Thanks.

When you mention: However, you can use the 280ZX front strut insert on your 810, what year are you speaking of?

Thanks Steve.

Edited by vjones

Thank you Steve! I was hoping you saw my post! I will mention this to our mechanic and get it started! You car looks just like ours!

You're welcome!

I bet you have the black interior with the "checkerboard" fabric seats. All the light blue 810's I have seen were outfitted in this manner.

When you mention: However, you can use the 280ZX front strut insert on your 810, what year are you speaking of?

Yes, it's the black interior with the checkerboard fabric seats.

When you mention: However, you can use the 280ZX front strut insert on your 810, what year are you speaking of? .

I am suggesting that you use the 280ZX front strut insert on your 810 and not the entire 280ZX strut assembly.

All the 280ZX's used the same aftermarket replacement front strut insert, regardless of year or body type.

I believe the plan (as stated above) is to use your existing "struts" and installing 280ZX "inserts" in them and re-installing them (the 810 struts). I'd also bet any year 280ZX strut (with the spacer to make up the difference in length) will work. This is a pretty straight forward deal. If the right inserts aren't available any more, a shorter set in their place, will do just fine.