IGNORED

Fuel Pump Relay Location

jtwynner

HELP... I have a fuel injected 77 280z that will not start. I believe that the problem is either the fuel pump or the fuel pump relay. as no fuel seems to be reaching the fuel filter. I want to replace the relay first because it is much cheaper, but I cannot find the relay. I've looked online and have seen two popular answers as to the location on various sites. On version says the relay is located on the passenger side, under the dash on the kick panel near where the fuses are located. The other possible location I see posted says it is under the hood, near the right side shock tower. I have the new relay and have looked in both places and I just cannot find it. I can find the Electronic Fuel Injection relay but that was not what I was looking for. Am I correct in believing my car has both relays? Am I looking in the right place??? Can anyone give me a clue??????

I've looked online and have seen two popular answers as to the location on various sites. On version says the relay is located on the passenger side, under the dash on the kick panel near where the fuses are located. The other possible location I see posted says it is under the hood, near the right side shock tower.
The first location you mention is flat wrong. The 'other possible location' would only be accurate on a 78. On a 75-77, the relay is located at under the dash on the drivers side above the steering column. It's a wide relay. Two plugs plug into it. Half of it is the main EFI relay and the other half of it is the fuel pump relay. See page EF-14 of the 1977 service manual if you don't have one, here's a link.

http://www.xenons30.com/files/FSM/77_datsun_280z.zip

Test that relay as per the testing procedure in the FSM, pages EF-55 through EF-57. I've seen many a person replace it only to find out that it wasn't the problem.

Edited by sblake01

On a 76 it is actually right above the hood release handle, left of the steering column. Held in place with a couple of screws. About 1x1x2.5". Not sure where they put it in 77 though. One more place to look though.

Per Steve Blake's comment - I have a spare 76 replay that came with my car. The previous owner bought it and found that that was not the problem. I don't think they go bad often. They don't suffer much abuse inside the car.

The first thing that I would do is to disconnect the small wire on the starter, turn the key to Start and listen for the pump. It's just a small electric motor back by the gas tank. If you don't hear it then you can assume it's either dead or not getting power. If you do hear it, then you can focus on fuel lines, filters, tank, etc. You can't hear it with the engine cranking.

Then before you take the pump out or change the relay (if you don't hear the pump), put a voltmeter on the pump contacts and have someone turn the key. This will tell you if the relay is working.

etc, etc. It will save you some money.

On a 76 it is actually right above the hood release handle, left of the steering column. Held in place with a couple of screws. About 1x1x2.5". Not sure where they put it in 77 though.
Same place in a 77 as a 76. That's a little better description of it's location than I posted, however.

Thanks Blake and Zed for the link and the helpful clarification. I've been looking at the EFI relay thinking that it only dealt with the EFI and that I would see a seperate fuel pump relay, when the EFI relay is actually a combination unit. I'm glad the fuel pump relay that I bought didn't cost that much since it's the wrong part. I have to be out off town due to work this week, but will do the testing you suggest before ordering an EFI relay when I get back next week. I really appreciate the help.