IGNORED

Today, fun with acetylene, sparks, and the welder

70 Cam Guy

For those that have seen my car before, they know my old muffler was not very well installed (by myself in a rush against the dark), and wasn't really giving me the tone I wanted. This is not to say the Flowmaster didn't sound good, it was just not the tone I was looking for.

A couple months ago I got my hands on a lightly used Magnaflow and decided it was going on the car. Today I finally had a chance to put it on the car and I am really happy with the results. It's much less boomy and 'drone-y'. It has a nice smooth tone with some raspiness. Off throttle sound is great, though the flowmaster gives it stiff competition in this department. I am still running the short glass pack in the middle

I've been floundering on what kind of tip to run and my buddy said I could use some of the scrap stainless from an exhaust he just made. I wet sanded a piece up and got creative with the torch. I practiced on another scrap piece to see what we could do with the coloration. After a couple trials I went to it. It's not too flashy and I'm happy with the look. I've also never met anyone else who has done it themselves

Anyway, here are a couple pics. It's probably not for everyone but I'm happy with the outcome. I'm also proud of my welding :)

:beer:

post-18904-14150812075928_thumb.jpg

post-18904-14150812076466_thumb.jpg

post-18904-14150812076927_thumb.jpg

Off topic here, Andy but, what size/offset wheels are you running?

not a problem, the combo is Rota RBR 16x8 +4 (et4) and my tires are General Exclaim UHP 205/50/16

I love it, didn't touch the fenders and I only rub a little in the rear on hard corning (and the car is low). I had these on before I did the coilovers and they cleared the struts. Much wider tires and I'm not sure, I had a little space, squished my index finger between the tire and perch. I wouldn't go much more than a 215/50 but hopefully a shop could test fit a tire for you

My suspension build is in the suspension forum, pretty recent post

When I put a single magnaflow on my first Z it set off car alarms but wasn't loud they sound great do you have pictures of the underside?

Sorry, none at the moment. I do have a standard short, Summit glass pack in the middle and I know that helps a lot with the noise. If you like the tone but not the noise, a basic resonator or glass pack will really help with the volume levels. Mine is in the middle next to the driveshaft

I initially installed to cure the freeway drone with the single flowmaster that was on previously. It really tamed the tone and I didn't notice any power loss at the time