IGNORED

Coronado Festival of Speed 2010

Ron Carter

Hi guys, it's time again to race at Coronado. We will be racing on North Island in San Diego the weekend of September 25th.

I hope a few of you can come out and make it, we should have a good turn out of Datsun's again this year, and I believe that Adam Carola will be joining us again this year to race with us on the tarmac.

This will be our 4th year at Coronado, and this year promises to be a good one with a number of Datsun's out racing with us. From 1 datsun four years ago to 8 last year we are encouraged as vintage racing organizations are now inviting us to run with them at their more prestigious events.

http://www.fleetweeksandiego.org/events/speed-fest.html

Hope to see you there, I will be racing my 1967 Datsun 2000 Roadster.

The San Diego Z Club usually meets at Glorietta Bay park at 8 or so on the Sunday of the event. They then caravan into the car corral. It is a great event and fun to do with the club. I am happy to see 8 Datsun invited. Check the club's website or yahoo group to confirm times. Things could change, in the past Dennis Darnell would organize this event but I am not sure if he still will this year.

Guys looks like we are going to have between 8 and 11 Datsun's racing this year and it looks like there will be an IMSA Z running this year, as Bob Clucas is signed up with his IMSA bodied 240Z.

This is the first year we have seen a 240Z run, and it promises to be another great race on the base!!

• 4 weeks later...

12 Datsun's this year! it was fantastic!! Great turn out and perfect weather. We lined up all the Datsun's on Sunday for a class photo. It was quite a sight to see! And it stopped traffic!!

There were 45 cars in our run group of which 42 started the race on Sunday, so it was a busy 1.7 mile track with lots of action.

We had a tough weekend compared to most, as we noticed issues with the roadster on the drive trough town on Thursday as my roadster seemed to be missing and hard to rev up. Friday's warm up confirmed that there was a miss and we spent all of Friday afternoon and Saturday until mid day dealing with this. About an hour prior to going out to the grid for our qualifying race we figured out the problem and repaired it. Only to go out in the 3rd lap of the qualifying lap when the #3 plugwire unplugged from the distributor, causing a miss again...

We fixed this, and ran the car flawlessly in the Sunday morning warm up, and we had a great race Sunday afternoon starting at the back of the pack (40th) and finishing 22nd.

I will be posting a more detailed update and the video of the race on my website www.rcnetworksracing.com in the next couple of days.