IGNORED

280ZX power window breaker

DC871F

I searched through all threads here, and allthough they were helpful, they were a little lacking, so i thought I would post this incase anybody else need help in the future.

On my 83ZX, this breaker was located on the passenger side above the fuse panel. But what some of the threads here do not indicate is that you have to remove the two bolts that hold the junction box where all the wire connections are. This is a fist sized black plastic mount that sits at a 45 degree angle that block you from getting to the breaker, just remove the screws and push it out of the way.

Now, for the breaker location. It is attached by 2 bolts to the inner structure of the car, and the breaker hides in between this inner structure and the outer fender area, just above the fuse box. The 2 mounting bolts face inward towards the passenger compartment, and the breaker hangs in the this afformentioned recess between the 2 metal structures of the car, so its basically in a hole. Its attatched to another wire bundle and a black relay box about 2x 3.5", undo this bundle from the breaker and finess the breaker out of the hole to undo the 2 bolt on connections that have a rubber boot covering both. THEY ARE NOT BLADE TYPE CONNECTIONS, they are studs with a lock washer and nut.

Another note, I was only able to find the breaker by the color coded wires from the wiring print, meaning that the breaker is not in view when your just fumbling around moving wires around to find this thing. I saw the 2 wires and followed them down the hole, and still at this point I couldnt even see the breaker yet. Not until you undo the 2 bolts will you actually see it. Fun stuff!

Nissan still carries this part (special order), for $60.00, and thats not a typo on the price. Went to Autozone and got a simular one for $2.99.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

WOW! I dug into where you say it is and sure enough, I see a contact is broken off the circuit breaker. That would certainly do it. But jeez-o-pete, finess the breaker out of the hole is right! They could have thought a little harder to come up with better access than that. I'm not sure how I'm going to get it out of there.

Nothing specific, just went over to the shelf for electrics and it was hanging on the shelf.

By the way, yours did exactly what mine did, one of the terminals on the breaker has broke clean off. I put a 20A breaker on mine, $2.99.

Also, when I reinstalled my new breaker, I zip tied it on the outside of the inner structure, there was no way in he11 to get it to go back in the hole.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Just pulled the relay from *&%$ out of mine. However, if you will unplug the 6 color coded plug-in block, remove the assembly from the kick panel and move it out of your way, it does make it easier to get the assembly out. I actually bolted/screwed the breaker back in the same place that the old one was removed. The new breaker is shorter in length so I only was able to install one screw back into the bracket, but it worked just fine. The 20A breaker is now $3.79 at my local Auto Zone which is still a deal considering what they want for an OEM replacement. I went to the trouble of drawing myself a diagram so I'd know which plug went where, but as I started pulling the connectors I noticed they were all color coded and the only 2 white ones are shaped differently so there's no way to plug the wrong one in unless you're color blind. (No offense, I know there are some color blind people in the world). Sure enough, my breaker had one connection broken off clean. Thanks for the helpful tips. It made the job easier.

• 5 years later...