IGNORED

Cold Start Valve

81 ZXT

I looked yesterday for my cold start valve and could not find it. According to the book I was using I thought it would be just forward of the air regulator. If I am correct in assuming that all models have a cold start valve, where should mine be? 1981 280zx Turbo.

Check & clean the connection at the cylinder head temp sensor, it is on the pass side, between plugs 5 &6. Connector is the same as the injectors. If it is malfunctioning, it will tell the ecu it is cold all the time & send more fuel.

Also clean the ecu's 3 connectors (driver side kick panel) with quality contact cleaner & plug and unplug the about 10 times to clean up the contacts.

The turbo cars are very sensitive to bad electrical connections. If you have not gone thru all the engine bay connections, efi ignition grounds, I would recommend it.

Thanks guys, the pcv valve is working. I will check the head temp sensor and clean the connections to the ecu. I have cleaned several connections under the hood. I will assume I need to disconnect the battery before unplugging the ecu. I have a thermotime sensor, but no cold start valve. What does the thermotime switch do on a turbo car?

Turbo's ECCS system does not use a thermotime switch, since it has no cold start valve.

Are you referring to the timer that controls the injector cooling fan?

If you don't have it, download the 81 FSM with the turbo supplement.

Study the ECCS section, it is very different from the EFI system. Follow the troubleshooting steps.

Just to let you know, this thread should be in the ZX section.

On my thermostat housing I have 2 "plugs" One is the water temperature sensor and the other I thought was the thermotime switch. Now I don't know what it is. It has a hex head and 2 wires going into it. It looks like you have to unscrew the head to get to the wires (not a quick connect plug like an injector). I'll download the turbo section and do some studying. This thread is in the ZX section.

• 6 months later...

mine is a turbo car and has the cold start stuff... im getting rid of it though since i didnt have the thermo timer switch plugged in ever and want to clean up the intake manifold. and does the turbo intake manifold have two pcv valves b/c i know theres one on the bottom but whats the valve thing by the bov looking thing?