IGNORED

Installing new Nisan shift boot into new console

River City Speed

Hey guys, I have bought a new console (Nissan for 77-78) and a new shift boot (Nissan late 73-78) and I can't get the boot to install in the console. I bought new clips as well (8). I purchased all the parts from Courtesy Nissan.

My car had a heavily busted console and was an automatic so I don't have anything to go on. I have all new parts from Nissan. It seems like I have to stretch the hell out of it to get it to go, but I can't stretch it enough. I don't want to damage any of the parts. Does anyone have pictures of what it should look like? It's too different from my '71's console and boot for that to help. Thanks.

Edited by River City Speed
mis-spelled Nissan

a '73 240Z boot will not fit a late '73 260-280('74-78 model year console), the opening is smaller on the earlier console.

Sounds like you ordered based on some misinformation-what part number did you get?

Hey guys, I have bought a new console (Nissan for 77-78) and a new shift boot (Nissan late 73-78) and I can't get the boot to install in the console. I bought new clips as well (8). I purchased all the parts from Courtesy Nissan.

It is a late 73-78 boot, see the above in red from my original post. Anyway, I think I was installing it wrong. On my 240Z the boot is folded over the flange and clipped. The 260Z boot must not fold over it, it must just slide beside it and clip. That's the only way I can make it fit. If I try to fold it over, it must be stretched severely to reach all sides. If I let slide beside the flange, if fits perfectly. I was hoping someone would chime in with a pic of what it is supposed to look like.

Actually, it does fold over, and it's a major challenge to do it. I was absolutely sure I would rip mine but didn't.

There is about an inch of overlap all the way around. The way I did it was by attaching one side, clipping it down then the opposite side, then the other two. It's tough, but it can be done.

I didn't do this, and I don't know if it will help, somebody else will need to say... But... I believe that with leather a hot blow dryer will help in stretching the material. Again, I have no idea if this will help with vinyl.