IGNORED

the glory and the agony- gas cap and seats

prilofx

Played hooky today and went to the junkyard and we did some mucking around on Beeb afterwards. Dug around in the parts in ALL the cars (all 4 of them, yay) and FOUND a proper fuel cap. It was in a spare tire well of a 280. I pulled everything out of the insides of those cars looking for one, just in case. And because I'm so nice, I put it all back in. :laugh:

Now onto the seats. The ones we got were out of a 280z. We grabbed the tracks, too, when we got them. Beeb doesn't even have tracks in. The whatever seats that were in it have tracks but they don't match up. So, I guess now what I'm on the hunt for is a set of tracks or a mount for a 240, right? Then, I should be able to bolt the 280 seats onto the 240 tracks and mount and be done with it? I'm trying to avoid fabricating metal parts on this because that's not my gig at all- I'm a "certified JB welder" and that's as far as that kind of thing goes for me.

Also found a place in town that does the dunk n repair on gas tanks, and I think I'll just happily roll on over there and let them do the work as far as removing the tank goes. Fairly reasonable, too. Just waiting for that tax refund to hit the bank...

if anyone has a set of 240z tracks/mount/thingy they're willing to sell, please feel free to let me know! I've seen the brand new ones for sale, and i'll go with that if I haven't found anything used within a couple of weeks.

April, I would have thought that the 280Z tracks would be the same as the 240Z tracks, have you tried bolting them in as is? These were from a 280Z, not a 280ZX?

If they don't work, I think I still have a set of tracks from a '71 240Z, but I'll have to find time to sort through my stuff to be certain.

It was hard to tell if it was a z or a zx- i'm going sheerly on body style up there and I have not quite reached the level of Z identification that so many of you have. All the badges were off it, most of the engine top end was in the back deck and the number plates were off it (shoulda took note of the VIN.. grr). It had T-tops! It was an automatic, was FI judging by what was left of it in the back... butterscotch interior. The seats are vinyl and fabric.

These tracks bolt to the front face of the body mount, rather than the top, though. They're just a wee bit wide but fit. Of the other 3, the seats were totally shot on one and missing (along with the hardware) on the other two. Maybe a trip back tomorrow to look at the hardware on the one.

crap on a stick! Ok well, if it won't work I'll clean these guys up and now have a valid excuse to come up to the thing in Canby- maybe someone can use them :) At least I only paid $100 for them.