IGNORED

You guys give good advice

ZwolleY

When I was looking for my one and only back in 1991, I came across a '72 with 4,500 miles on it that the owner wanted $14.000 for. It was a beautiful orange car with white interior, original tires, etc. I could not afford it but looked at it closely, keeping my drool under control of course, just to see what an original looked like. I continued my search and came up with a nice yellow car with 86,000 miles on with very lttle rust. Cost me $3,000. I can't say that I have put in $11,000 into my car but several thousand at least. And I still have a mediocre car that is still a project. What do they say about hindsight-- it is 20/20. I should have jumped on that $14,000 car. But then I would not have know the joys of puttering on a Z. So the point here is that your advice of buying the best car you can afford and have a car that you can immediately drive, is the good advice. But, would I have been comfortable driving that $14,000 car?

Is there a resurgence in interest in early Z's? When I was shopping everyone told me that I needed to buy their car because the Z was destined to become a rare classic. What they did not mention was that would apply only to low mileage, rust free original cars with low numbers. My impression was that interest in the Z sort of languished for several years but, am I correct, that there is more interest in them now?

You are right that the only cars that can command a high resale (today) are the very pristeen cars.. But from my point of view a car is a consumable.. A perfert car that I am afraid to drive or scratch is of no use to me... Why have a race horse to just look at... It was meant to run like the wind... I am sure there is investment potential in many Zcars out there, But who really wins.... The guy that seldome if ever drives his car, and never runs it hard... Or the guy that uses it daily and kicks it for all it's worth regularly.. and arrives with a grin from ear to ear many times a week.... I will live with the rust, and fun.... A shine don't make my car go any faster...

You are absolutely right on. My family cars are a Taurus and a Camry, boring. So I have to throw a switch to a different frame of mind when I get into my Z, and, yes I do have a smile on my face after I have taken it for a hard drive.