IGNORED

Inconsistent Idle - 76 280z

Z Tyler Z

Hey everyone, so I finally got my Z to daily driver status. I've been driving it pretty much every day for a couple weeks now and have noticed a few small problems I want to try and take are of.

My idle sometimes likes to stick at 1500-2000+ range, I assume this is the BCDD causing this problem. What's the easiest way to fix this? Try and adjust it or just hook a 12V source. Will the driving change if i decide to get rid of it or will my rpms just drop faster and not hang around 2k sometimes.

But other times when I put it into neutral and come to a stop by cars idle will drop to around the 500-600 range. I've herd of the BCCD causing high idles but what could be causing a low idle? Other times when I come to a stop my idle is perfect (850).

Also my car doesn't like to start without me putting my foot on the gas a bit. Seems harder to start without me doing that.

Any ideas? I rather not throw money at things until the problem goes away.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Tyler,

My Z use to do a similar thing. I found out that it was actually my accelerator linkage. Because it was old and well worn it would stick and hold the revs up. I've read here that a lot of others have had the same problem. As for you revs dropping, it could be that your linkage was stuck last time the idle was set.

Try taking the linkage apart and cleaning all the gunk out of the moving parts.

Tyler,

My Z use to do a similar thing. I found out that it was actually my accelerator linkage. Because it was old and well worn it would stick and hold the revs up. I've read here that a lot of others have had the same problem. As for you revs dropping, it could be that your linkage was stuck last time the idle was set.

Try taking the linkage apart and cleaning all the gunk out of the moving parts.

Ok, I'll have to give that a shot tomorrow, thanks for the input.

I've already installed a new water temp sensor and that actually did quite a bit, my car revs much smoother at higher rpms than it did before. But still sometimes it likes to idle very low than others much higher (2-500 rpms higher). Slightly higher idling doesn't bother me it's when it starts dipping in the 500 range that scares me. The Z seems very gutless when accelerating off such a low idle. I can floor it and the rpms slowly move up when the car idles low.