Power assist kaput? - Wheels & Brakes - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Power assist kaput?

Featured Replies

So, I start fooling with the brakes on The Turd today. Still banging away on the rear drums. Thanks to Anthonyg, I have backups for when I give up being gentle but firm and take the sawzall to those bastards.

While taking a break from the brakes, I sit inside the car and push on the pedal. Hard as a rock. Not what I expected. I thought that the pedal would go to the floor from the M/C being nearly empty on both reservoirs.

The car has been siting for 18-19 years and there was a hydraulic leak in the brake system when i parked it.

Anyone with this experience think that I have a bad booster or is the M/C rod stuck? A new M/C was in the plan. A booster was not.

Could be the vacuum has bled off after nearly 20 years? I wouldn't cuss the booster at this point unless you've run the engine recently....

Oldelephant-be advised that if you yank too hard,you break the adjuster off.It's just made of pot metal.

  • Author

Thanks Frank, I hadn't thought of that.

I just got off the phone with a guy that had this problem with a Maxima. Was a stuck M/C.

Ztrain, I am assuming that you are talking about a rod adjustment? I have yet to research M/C adjustments and replacements.

But, I will absolutely guarantee that whatever it is, I will break it on this car. Nearly every nut and bolt has been a breaking experience. The car laughs at Kroil, PB Blaster, Liquid wrench, propane heat and patience. Come to think of it, it did when it was new!

I think that it is time to pay this car back a little. I think that I will start on floor pan replacement. I'll see if the she-devil that lives within this car screams while I cut out the rot with various tools of destruction.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.