IGNORED

76 280Z electric help

rzkas

My 280z doesn't turns on at all without i turning the switch that the control wiper blade on. i am talking about the handle switch on the right side of the steering column. when i turn the wiper blade switch on the car turn on and starts but when i turn it off the d car dies and wont turn on or respond to anything. And when the switch is turn to on the wiper blade themselves dont work. My signals dont work but the flasher/hazard works. i will switch the handle on the left side of the steering wheel but no signal. finally, no power to the radio and the heater/ac control panel.

pls help me solve these issues. thanks

where can i locate the ACC relay and the fan relay

Edited by rzkas

Try disconnecting the wiper motor assembly in case something is wrong with the motor assembly that is loading the electrical circuit. The connector for the motor assembly is a round connector with a harness that goes thru the firewall close to the hood latch. There are 5 or 6 wires in the harness.

Even though the wiper switch is off there is still power to the motor assembly as the wiper circuitry reverses polarity to the motor to "park" the wipers when the switch is in the off position.

The ACC relay (if there is one) should be under the dash in the passenger footwell, above the fuseblock. Not sure about the fan (blower?) relay in the 76.

wondering what you have done so far. have you checked fuses/fusible links with a meter?

do you have a FSM with wiring? the wiper switch and it's odd results when used could point to something if compared to the wiring for it, and where it may overlap with other circuits.

since it is electrical start with basics. battery connected? terminals clean? battery putting out 12.5ish volts? is it freshly charged?

check wiring harness plugs. visually inspect to see if something is noticibly overheating, also that everything is plugged in all the way.

have you tried pulling fuses to see if it works with minimal systems powered? (my 280 starts fine with all fusible links in, brake light, and accessories powered. I kept accessories powered as the in dash volt meter is useful)

have you already replaced any parts? any parts replaced before the issue?

I think there is a download site for the FSM. i got one off ebay cause i like paper. better user interface for projects. Hopefully the tests can help point to a problem. also check one thing at a time to avoid fixing the issue without knowing what the issue was.

wondering what you have done so far. have you checked fuses/fusible links with a meter?

do you have a FSM with wiring? the wiper switch and it's odd results when used could point to something if compared to the wiring for it, and where it may overlap with other circuits.

since it is electrical start with basics. battery connected? terminals clean? battery putting out 12.5ish volts? is it freshly charged?

check wiring harness plugs. visually inspect to see if something is noticibly overheating, also that everything is plugged in all the way.

have you tried pulling fuses to see if it works with minimal systems powered? (my 280 starts fine with all fusible links in, brake light, and accessories powered. I kept accessories powered as the in dash volt meter is useful)

have you already replaced any parts? any parts replaced before the issue?

I think there is a download site for the FSM. i got one off ebay cause i like paper. better user interface for projects. Hopefully the tests can help point to a problem. also check one thing at a time to avoid fixing the issue without knowing what the issue was.

The car starts and run fine. headlight comes on and hazard light works but signals doesn't work. i check the fuse, i have some power on some fuses and the other fuses there is no power. all or most of the fuses for the interior has no power. fusible links has power and battery cable are all connected. I have not changed anything electrical wise.

Are you in Washington State? or DC?

If you're close to Marysville, WA. stop by and I'll have a look at it. Couldn't hurt.

Email me at wolfin32z@yahoo.com or PM me here.

Dave

Ya, he's in Everett and lives by Cascade High school, so not too far from you. From the sound of things though I don't think his car is road worthy though.

Edited by Z Tyler Z