IGNORED

Does your cap stink?

steve91tt

I have been tracking down and eliminating sources of gas odor in my 1973 240Z. I have replaced all of the vent hoses and the filler neck. The problem is 90% better but I can still smell a faint gas odor at times.

I have been sniffing around and I think the source of the smell is from the gas cap area. I tried tightening the three bolts that lock the cap seat through the filler neck to the body to no effect. The cap looks fine and I tried bending the little tabs in to make it fit more snugly but it still smells. :disappoin

Is this standard? It seems to me that the gas cap should seal pretty much 100% of the gas fumes. But before I lay out $55 for a new one I wanted to know if fumes from the filler door is standard on these cars or if I am missing something.

Steve, this subject has been discussed ad-nauseaum squared.

So much so, that if you search for "gas fumes" or "exhaust smell" (and yes, they are inter-related), you'll max out the search return at 100. Which means there are far FAR more than 100 reply threads. You could spend days reading those replies.

To even try, and some will, to summarize it for you; will not pinpoint the specific problem you may be having. Search the archives, check the most often suggested items on your car and you may have the problem fixed.

It IS a common problem with these cars.

FWIW

E

Steve, you might want to check out the thread from Beandip concerning getting rid of the evaporator tank and the associated gas lines that run through your car. I plan on doing this mod. (I only had gasoline fumes in the interior once when the line hiding behind the rear panel under the hatch split.)

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19034&highlight=fuel+vent

There was another thread somewhere where the poster used a smoke machine inside the car to find air and water leaks. He had some interesting pictures and some interesting areas that needed fixin'. Surprisingly - to me - were that body seams needed caulking!

Steve, you might want to check out the thread from Beandip concerning getting rid of the evaporator tank and the associated gas lines that run through your car. I plan on doing this mod. (I only had gasoline fumes in the interior once when the line hiding behind the rear panel under the hatch split.)

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19034&highlight=fuel+vent

There was another thread somewhere where the poster used a smoke machine inside the car to find air and water leaks. He had some interesting pictures and some interesting areas that needed fixin'. Surprisingly - to me - were that body seams needed caulking!

Those are great threads and I have read them and many others several times over the past few weeks. I used the information they contained to eliminate all of my exhaust smell and 90% of the gas smell.

On the gas side I have replaced all of the vent hoses, the filler neck and the rubber o-ring around the gas tank sender unit.

My gas cap does let out some vapor and I have a new one on order. However the smell is on the inside so I think there is something going on in the interior. My next step is to go back and re-check the the things I have already checked/replaced. It's not a complicated system. I've gotta be missing something small.