headlights don't work - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

headlights don't work

Featured Replies

After much looking and getting distracted and more looking, I have come to the conclusion that there isn't another thread on here that has answered the question to my problem so here it is:

The headlights don't work. I have owned the car for several years now with no problems yet with the headlights. They have always worked and come on when I asked them to. This time, however, they didn't. The parking lights, hazards, break lights, running lights on all sides work, but not the normal headlights. I will admit that I failed to check high beams.

Checked all the fuses and they are fine. None blown. Even checked them with a test light just to make sure. Sure enough, they are all good. Next moved onto the actual wiring leading to the lights. unclipped the wiring harness up there and tested for grounds with the lights and ignition off. good ground. Next turned the lights on to test the positive. Those were all good too. So because the lights are getting power when the switch is turned on, I came to the conclusion that the switch is working properly.

Not really sure where to go from here. Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

You actually wrote it yourself. You didn't check the switch for your high/low beams. A bad contact there will keep your headlights from functioning.

  • Author

So to make sure I have this right: if my high beams don't work either, then the switch needs to be fixed, right? Because it's keeping my lows from working.

What if the high beams don't work also? Hypothetically since I failed to check.

  • Author

Okay. Checked the high beams and you were right. They work. Clicked them back down to lows and looked again, just for grins and my lows work now. So, this just means that I need to get inside the switch and fix it, correct?

The contacts in the switch are probably dirty/worn.

My recommendations:

1. Consider installing a relay for the headlight circuit. The wiring passes all of the current for the headlights through the two switches on the steering column. This is hard on the switches. The relays greatly reduce the current passing through the switches and will result in a higher voltage getting to your headlights. Higher voltage means brighter lights!

2. Get your switch cleaned.

By mere coincidence Zs-ondabrain, a user on this site, has an excellent reputation for handling BOTH of my recommendations. (Dave, when do I start getting a commission?) What's even better is that he lives in your state! But wait! There's more...Okay, there isn't more.

Steve

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

Fantastic! Thank you so much Steve!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.