IGNORED

Vacuum Throttle Opener

akorna

Appreciate some help here - Still sorting out performance issues w/ my 72 240z - has the stock SU carb set up - air injection system is disconnected and all vacuum ports capped. The car did not have the vacuum motor that controls the throttle opener vacuum dashpot. The car consistently stalls after blipping the throttle, or coming to a stop after driving, but will start back up immediately. Work around is to set idle at 1200 RPM. Does this device need to be operational (slow down throttle closing) to prevent the stalling? If so - where can find the components?

No, the opener on my car only works when backing off at higher RPM. I found it annoying, and readjusted it so that it looks like it is working but never actually opens the throttle, and I have no stalling problems at all.

I have a '73 with earlier balance tube and 4-screw SU's. My throttle opener is completely removed. It hasn't really been a problem.

Have you checked the other simple checks? No vacuum leaks, points/ignition is not pitted/good, fuel pressure is good, etc. Are the carbs balanced at idle and off idle? Have you gone through the mixture/balance procedure?

Thanks for the responses - it turned out the major issue with the stalling was due to a sticking/catching breaker plate in the distributor. Replacing the distributor fixed that problem. Now I have to work on the sticking choke (nozzle) on the rear carb.

• 5 years later...

Thanks for the responses - it turned out the major issue with the stalling was due to a sticking/catching breaker plate in the distributor. Replacing the distributor fixed that problem. Now I have to work on the sticking choke (nozzle) on the rear carb.

I have the exact problem keeping my idle. I removed all the EGR System including the throttle opener valve and servo diaphgram. It does not mantain the  rpm in 1000. It fluctuates betwenn 900 to 1,000 on traffic jams. If you turn the lights on it lowers to 900 and tends to stall.

What could be the problem here. My carbs are totally remanufactured by ztherapy and their are no vacuum leaks.