IGNORED

Lower Radiator Hose HELP

Zedyone_kenobi

Ok I have been refreshing my car lately and have done numerous mods. Radio, antenna, carbs, air box, etc. All is well. however, I noticed the belt on my dealer installed Air conditioner has been cutting into my lower radiator hose. It never broke through, but the hose is 80% or more sliced into. So I ordered a new lower radiator hose from MSA...

Here is where it gets interesting. Since I am running a non stock 3 core radiator I suppose to handle the dealer installed AC, I discovered the outlet on bottom of the radiator is a larger diameter than the stock radiator hose will fit over. I now have two radiator hoses for a 240Z that are essentially useless.

So, I pulled the damaged hose off the car and took a note of the part number, as it obviously does fit and has worked for many years.

the number was a GATES 20780. So I call up two parts stores and order one from each, not knowing who will get one faster. I pick one of the hoses up today and it is not like the larger diameter hose that I took off my car. Now strangely enough, the GATES 20780 is EXACTLY the same as a stock 240Z hose. Somewhere, that hose changed.

So I am left with very few options. I can either do one of the following:

1) Cut the end off the larger diameter hose that is still on the car and but a plastic joiner to connect it to the factory hose replacement, which will also have to be cut to fit (this is really sort of ghetto)

2) Find another hose at the autoparts store that has the similar bends and cut to fit my application (already tried this once actually with no luck)

3) Pull the radiator out and have the larger end cut off and a smaller outlet neck welded on.

Any ideas for help. I would certainly appreciate it.

Edited by Zedyone_kenobi

I got a gates hose that is made for a 240Z from Advance Auto today. I did not think it was going to fit, but it was close. I ended up boiling the radiator end in a large pot on the stove and it made the rubber VERY compliant. I was able to get it on the car today and get some hoseclamps on. I am very happy with the fit now and I have functional radiator hose...I will keep an eye on it as it is stretched some what tight.

LOL YOU STUPID DUDE AND I MEAN THAT IN GOOD WAY LOL ! You boiled your radiator hose on the stove thats freakin awesome, thats the funniest thing i heard all day :) i wonder how your 3 Carb Lasagna or Baked Rally Clocks 'ill turn out. Glad to know it fits though. Edited by WingZr0

Hey, Wing-0... Are you in H-town this week-end?
No not yet, thats funny, you call it Hi-town and we call it Sac-town here for Sacramento! Still got about another month to go. I did just finally get my trucker exame memorized and no longer need the book and now ready for the test! Can't wait to get down there and meet all you guys, you seem to be pretty deep in numbers and appearantly have some good Z shops too. Why, whats poppin off this weekdend? Thats right the Houston meet, well say hi to all the chiks for me. Cause we all know chiks luv Z's! :) Edited by WingZr0