IGNORED

Prince emblem

In the parts for sale a person has a Prince shift knob for sale. My 72 240 has that very same emblem in the middle of the console just ahead of the shift lever (between shift lever and radio). I never thought much of it until I see the shift knob. Is there any significance (history) to the emblem? A search here doesn't mention it. Mostly curious.

Leonard

Thanks for the lead. I am guessing that it is just an honor badge of some sort then and has no particular direct association to the car? (240z). It isn't commerative or part of an option package or any such thing? (I watch too much Antique Road Show I guess). WingZr0 has the knob listed in the classifieds which brought it to my attention.

I think you're talking about the 'prancing lion' logo rather than the Prince logo. I had a similar knob in my 810. Sometimes it's mistakedly (IMO) referred to as a 'Griffin'. Not sure if it has anything at all to do with the Prince Motor Company.

30t6qo2.jpg2hgfw9s.jpg

Edited by sblake01

That's it. I have the same logo in a molded plastic on the console of my 240. Thought it might have had some significance. I'll settle for it just being cool. I'd love to have the shift knob to go with it. Maybe soon................

I didn't think it was a Prince logo either. I associate that most with the fairlady (datsun roadster). They keys had that lion on them.
As did the original 320 pickup key:

hv77up.jpg

If the merger was in 1966, the Fairlady roadster would also predate it. So, WingZrO, if you're watching, your 'Prince' shift knob has been busted! zvvi34.jpg
OH GREAT, IT WAS YOU GUYS THAT TOLD ME IT WAS PRINCE IN THE FIRST PLACE :)LOL ! Searce a thread called 'Prince Rallye Shift Knob' or keywords Datsun Lion and Griffin and that thread should turn up. Well if thats the case i still love it though. I Even have a chrome metal one too :) . Edited by WingZr0

Also, if I recall correctly, saw the red versions decal on one of the Works Rally Cars. Not sure though but I think it was on the Zpoint.com site in one of the movies and the race was in Britain somewhere. It was placed on the front fenders like the Ferrari logos are. In the parts store link in my sig theres a pic of the decal in the Decal and Emblems section if someone wants to post the pic here. I would but i'm using a cell phone (insert sad face here).

Edited by WingZr0

Well I am glad we got all of that settled!:) If nothing else, I got a great history lesson. And WingZr0, now that we have established the shift knob is worthless, I'll give you $20.00 for it:beer: (went back and read some old posts, some were misleading to say the least)

OH GREAT, IT WAS YOU GUYS THAT TOLD ME IT WAS PRINCE IN THE FIRST PLACE :)LOL ! Searce a thread called 'Prince Rallye Shift Knob' or keywords Datsun Lion and Griffin and that thread should turn up. Well if thats the case i still love it though. I Even have a chrome metal one too :) .
Actually, I think that it was Carl who said it had to do with Prince. Basically, all I did was relent. I've never seen anything else that associates the lion (or lyon?) with Prince.

Haha relax guys just making a joke, I haven't read that thread in years :) . Just assuming it was the "general" concensous. Twenty bucks Kid no way bro, the red knobs are hard to find but in that thread theres a link to a place that sales the yellow ones :) . I only listed it incase someone really needs it before i find my dream 70 Z. Besides this is all knew info for me too. I might need to take you to the next swap meet with me though, i'm sure we'll score some deals :)

Edited by WingZr0

Looks sweet Ron. The original design may be Nissan but the most common ones are aftermarket from AMCO. They made all kinds of knobs include the Safari Rallye knob which was what i was remembering wrong. That knob has the front face of tiger on it and not a Lyon. You can find pics most commonly in the Amco ads sold on ebay. Ever seen a NOS Gold key chain of this with same red logo? I have one :) will post some pics when can.

Edited by WingZr0

Yeah, I've seen those. Looks like the merger had already taken place at that point. I've not seen a Prince embem with the Lion (Lyon) without 'Nissan' on it also. I've seen Nissan by itself with the lion logo, Datsun by itself with the lion logo but never Prince by itself with the lion logo.

Edited by sblake01

Interesting how the lion image slightly changes between the two examples Chris has shown. In the second version the claws are extended, portraying a slightly more aggressive image.

Check these out.

Hey Chris! That was a little project undertaken a few years ago by a (New Zealand?) member of the Prince Skyline Register here in Australia. He had the translation done and a few stickers made up......I've got one here somewhere!?...

Thanks. I couldn't remember where I got those images so I didn't say anything. Great graphics. From everything I can find, the Prince emblem seems to be a stylized 'P' on a shield. No Griffins - with or without claws.

Also the last generation Prince logo (which appeared on the R380) was also used on the steering wheels of Nissan's c10 and c110 Skylines (perhaps others?). I believe the standard models had blue logos, and the GT-Rs were fitted with red ones.