IGNORED

Torque converter removal

widget777

I have a 78 280 z and have the engine out of the car. While the engine is out, I want to replace the front seal on the automatic transmission. I have studied the 4 manuals that I own and none give good instructions on how to remove the torque converter and replace the seal. Please help:

1- Does the torque converter just slide forward for removal?

2 - Should I be prepared for fluid loss after the converter is removed?

3 - are there any special tricks to replace the front seal?

Thanks in advance for the help

I have a 78 280 z and have the engine out of the car. While the engine is out, I want to replace the front seal on the automatic transmission. I have studied the 4 manuals that I own and none give good instructions on how to remove the torque converter and replace the seal. Please help:

1- Does the torque converter just slide forward for removal?

2 - Should I be prepared for fluid loss after the converter is removed?

3 - are there any special tricks to replace the front seal?

Thanks in advance for the help

I think I sent over this once......

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36529&highlight=Esprist

Torque conver has 4 bolts that have to be taken off the flywheel. That should be done before removing the transmission.

1. Drain fluid & remove drive shaft and all the wires and speedo cable

1. Remove the engine rear bottom plate

2. Hand crank and remove the bolts x4 (Hang onto front crank bolt so you can losen them easily)

3. After removing the trans. Torque conver comes right off. Now there is 2 streght areas at front shaft that matches the troque convertor splines where you cannot really see from outside. So you take a peek into the shaft and make sure it locks back in the right place.o

Rear main seal and trans seals are fairly easy to remove. Try not force anything.

Esprist

www.jdm-car-parts.com