Windshield Wiper - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Windshield Wiper

Featured Replies

I dislike my painted black windshield wipers so I am thinking about stripping the paint back so they're stainless (?) steel again.

My problem is, how do I do it! Theyre so intricate that I think the only way to get all the paint off is if I could soak them in some sort of acid which would just strip the paint right off. Does such a liquid exist?

Also, the whole thing is black. Originally, was it all unpainted or was the bit which attaches to the blade painted black? Basically, what should it look like?

Thanks for your time!

  • Author

OK so I used some ordinary paint stripper and a toothbrush and most of it came off nicely. They look like steel but I wouldn't bet on it.

I guess I should just use some metal cleaner and see how they come out?

TRy Galmet Rustpaint Epoxy finish

I've used the Silver & it came out OK.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

OK I might try that if they dont look too flash in bare metal.

I've also seen some 'chrome' spray paint... might give that a go

Beware of Chrome Spraypaint. Unless paint technology has progressed rapidly in the last 5 years about the best "chrome" finish i've seen from a can was at best a metallic silver type paint colour.

If you're after a chrome finish theres no subsitute for real chrome plating.

How about painting them the same colour as your car paint Alfa.

Mr C

  • Author

I want to buy a can just to test it out and see how it looks... but it IS $15 a can :sick:

I've cleaned them up with some "metal cleaner" and they came out wonderful. I don't think they need anything!

  • Author

the previous owner did that on the rear bumper - I stay well clear of steel wool!

Really if anything they look TOO bright.

I think they're just fine :D

Is that bright after the steel wool treatment?

What sort of metal finish are you exactly wanting to reproduce?

  • Author

Well, original would be nice.

I'm going to wait until I see another Z with original wipers and see how mine compare.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.