IGNORED

radiator question

Pomorza

Hello guys

About a week ago my radiator developed a leak. So I ended up calling up a radiator shop and ordering a radiator. They told me it was an exact replica of what I had. It came in today and I find two things different.

1. The radiator has the drain plug in the center not on the driver's side like advertised.

2. It has two outlets for the automatic transmission that came with other Z. (mine is a manual).

To my amazement the radiator I bought is roughly ten pounds lighter than the one I have. It is the same size and everything. I'm wondering a number of things. Is it possible to just plug the transmission lines and stick the car in there or should I take it to a radiator shop and have it trimmed off? Secondly will the drain plug in the center affect the skid plate. What I mean is can I put the radiator in and then the skid plate with no problem?

Thanks for the help

Jan

Don't know about the drain plug but as far as the trans cooler lines you don't have to do anything to them as nothing will be running through them.

Really? I would think fluid would come out of there if I drive with a manual and there's nothing hooked up. Can you explain why?

Oh that makes perfect sense now. I thought that the transmission had an internal cooler and that the coolant would flow through the radiator to the cooler and than back to the radiator. (works this way in my old jeep). So as far as I am concerned the two little connections on the bottom of the radiator don't do anything at all for me?

Jan

Over in the UK we have our radiators reconditioned (a new core in the old top & bottom) it's a lot cheaper.

Yes, that is my preference as well. I have a very good rebuild shop who has been doing my work since the '70s. I am more comfortable with their rebuilds than I am with OEM or other source replacements. He also stands firmly behind his work.

• 3 weeks later...