IGNORED

"matching numbers" confusion

IdahoKidd

I am baffled as to what "matching numbers" actually means. I was told here that the engine will have the same serial number as the firewall/vin. I have 5 Z's and not one of them matches. Then I just read a post that the person claimed his car has matching numbers and the serial number and the engine number are different. I have a 280z L28 motor that has a 6 digit number 141278 in a shell that has a vin that starts 369xxx I have a second 280z, engine number 179686 and a vin that is 404xxx. I know for certain that this car still has the original engine as I purchased it from the original owner with 120K miles on it.

Simple question I guess; Does the engine number ever match the vin number or is there separate documentation to establish the correct engine number?

I am trying to get my orange/white 240 back to as near original as I can. The car is a 10/71 production and I have a different 10/71 engine for it. Does it make a difference?

Thanks,

Leonard

The engine number and "VIN" won't match. By 'matching numbers' all that is meant is that the original engine block is still in the car. On 240's there is a small tag on the passenger side of the engine bay on the wheel well. The tag has the "VIN" and the engine number engraved on it. These number will not match each other. However, on the passenger side of the block there should be a number cast onto the side as well. If this number matches the number on the tag, you have 'matching numbers'.

Then you can get into having the correct head to go with the block, correct intake runners, and correct carbs but none of those have a unique number, just a 'model' number.

I know that the tag is in different places depending on the model of Z. With a little searching of the forums you can find where your tag is located.

If you know the block is original to the car, you will have 'matching numbers'.

Because there were many different S30 models produced (HS30, HLS30, HLS30-U, etc) and the same engines spread over these model lines (as well as different engines available in different markets) there is likely no car who's "VIN" matches the engine number.

Edited by JonnyRock

Hopefully this will clear it up a little: on an HLS30 the VIN should appear on the driver door jamb tag, on the dashboard tag, stamped into the firewall, and on the engine compartment tag on the passenger side near the strut. That last tag also has an engine number, L24-XXXXX (or L26/L28). If that engine number matches the number on the engine block itself you have a "numbers matching" car. Presumably the 4 different VINs all match each other as well otherwise you've got a worse problem.

Yes that helps immensely. I either was misinformed or misunderstood about the engine ID number. I did know about the other numbers all matching.

I do have one other question about ID numbers that perhaps is a different post. Is there documentation somewhere based on the VIN or other identifying number that tells paint color and interior color? That is to say, if I have VIN 123456 for example, can I determine the interior/exterior colors or did the records not come that complete then?

Thanks

Leonard

Hopefully this will clear it up a little: on an HLS30 the VIN should appear on the driver door jamb tag, on the dashboard tag, stamped into the firewall, and on the engine compartment tag on the passenger side near the strut. That last tag also has an engine number, L24-XXXXX (or L26/L28). If that engine number matches the number on the engine block itself you have a "numbers matching" car. Presumably the 4 different VINs all match each other as well otherwise you've got a worse problem.
Somewhere along to line, Nissan stopped putting engine numbers on the tag on S30s. It was sometime during the 280Z production years IIRC. We've discussed that before. I know that there were no engine numbers on the tag on my 78.

Somewhere along to line, Nissan stopped putting engine numbers on the tag on S30s. It was sometime during the 280Z production years IIRC. We've discussed that before. I know that there were no engine numbers on the tag on my 78.

I remember that being discussed before but somehow I thought it was for cars in other markets. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Is there documentation somewhere based on the VIN or other identifying number that tells paint color and interior color? That is to say, if I have VIN 123456 for example, can I determine the interior/exterior colors or did the records not come that complete then?
Unlike the British auto industry (where you can request a complete build history for a fee), Nissan does not have (or perhaps just won't release) that info.
FAIW, the warranty book for my '78 has a page where the original configuration of the car, owner info, etc. are recorded, apparently by the dealer. The engine s/n is also included there (at least on my car).
Unfortunately, most of our cars either no longer have the original documentation, or if we do, the dealers didn't always complete them properly.
Mid-year in '77, IIRC. Seems like all '76s had the engine number on the data plate, and some '77s as well.
I remember that being discussed before but somehow I thought it was for cars in other markets. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Good point. What we are discussing here may not be applicable for cars not built for the North American market.