IGNORED

Motorsports MSA Fiberglass bumper

MEZZZ

First. let me start by saying I really did use the search button on this before posting :)

I have a 280Z and have long wanted to shed the big bumpers. I have options of, going bumperless (illegal, front looks unfinished, rear looks great), MSA fiberglass bumper covers front and rear (I just dont like the looks, especially the rear and the front is too modern looking), or, using earlier bumpers from a 240.

The early bumpers are too expensive, so are the stainless posted here recently. That leaves me with MSA Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber bumpers. I am leaning toward the fiberglass (least expensive) front and rear. I am going to use the bumper brackets from here:

http://www.zccjdm.com/catalog.php/azcarbum/dt81970/pd1790406/280Z_TO_240Z_FF__RR__BUMPER_CONVERSION_BRACKETS_

That leads to my question I cannot find an answer too, has anyone used the MSA fiberglass bumpers on a 74-78 and if so, I am very curious as to any fitment issues. I was told the brackets should match up fine, I am more concerned with the sides, gaps, etc? Also, overall quality of the product as well.

Any comments are appreciated.

Edited by MEZZZ

I am sorry that I can't answer your question but I just wanted to tell you I recently purchased front and rear fiberglass MSA bumpers for my 240z and really like them. They are pretty lightweight and obviously don't offer any protection from any impacts but they seem to be a good quality. They do require a little prep work (sanding along the seams) but not much else. If they fit, I think you will like them. Good luck.

carl

Thanks Carl, nice to know they are decent quality. I figured they would take some prep work, I know they are for looks only as well, hopefully I nver have to test their impact ability.

I was planning on buying those along with the Urethane Air Dam but would like to know of any issues with them.

I also cannot tell you about a 280Z experience. However, I bought two sets of the MSA fiberglass bumpers for my two '72s. I have only installed one set so far.

I agree that the finish is good and only needs a modest amount of prep work to be ready for paint.

The rear bumper went on fairly easily with all the holes more or less lining up. You have to get the bolts and nuts separately (I used metric SS ones from my local hardware store) and then these have to be installed just so. Mine face inwards with a washer on the bumper bracket (bolt head) side and both a washer and lock washer on the nut side. These went on without too much effort.

The front bumper was another story entirely. I found that the holes on the bumper bracket did NOT all line up with the ones on the bodyside brackets. I had to slot one bumper bracket hole almost to the end of the bracket to get proper alignment. Whether this was a part-to-part manufacturing variation or just a one-off bad part, I don't know. However, I would measure the critical distances between your installed conversion brackets and demand that MSA make certain that the parts to be sent to you will have proper alignment.

That said, using more store-bought SS hardware was a royal PITA for the fronts. There is not enough distance between the inner side of the bumper bracket and the inside of the bumper itself to make insertion of the bolts an easy task. I had to angle insert the bolts and then hold them in rough place with masking tape so they wouldn't then fall out as the part was fitted up. A "simple" job took me about 6 hours all told.:stupid:

Now, because the conversion brackets you intend to get are themselves slotted, things may work out better for you, but you'll still have the issue of maneuvering and holding bolts on the bumper brackets.

The end brackets of the front bumper don't line up very well with the holes on my H/L nacelles either and the part looks to be a bit too wide for the car. However, it is flexible and the ends can be "convinced" into proper position. I have not yet done this and the ends are hanging free in the air at the moment. The bumper is stiff enough that they don't droop.

I'm at least going to be more experienced when I get around to installng the second set.;)

Thanks for the info Bob. I would say if you had that much trouble with the '72, I am in for the same with my 280. I dont mind a bit of coaxing, I only get mildly upset :) Its when I do alot of coaxing and things still dont work out is when I get very upset!

My fear is I get these things and spend almost $400 with freight and they just dont look right or line up right or are too wide, etc. I would love to find some stock in that price range but that I am afraid is a pipe dream.

Now that you have some expertise, drive on down to Cincinnati and help with the install and I will supply the beer and pizza :)

• 5 weeks later...

My body guy was lining up the other set of MSA fiberglass bumpers to determine where the "cut ins" needed to be on the rear quarter panels and saw that those brackets didn't line up very well either. But, he took a different route to fixing the issue.

:bulb:He used a cut-off wheel on the resin holding the bracket edges to the inner bumper wall and they came off just fine. He then ground the residual bumper resin smooth and bolted the MSA brackets to the car's brackets. He put what he calls "panel adhesive" on the roughed up MSA brackets' surface and pressed the bumper onto them, aligned it with the car (using shims and C-clamps - I presume) and let the adhesive set up. Voila! The bumper, she is properly aligned and firmly affixed.

Well, I guess that's what years of experience retoring cars will do for you...;)

My body guy was lining up the other set of MSA fiberglass bumpers to determine where the "cut ins" needed to be on the rear quarter panels and saw that those brackets didn't line up very well either. But, he took a different route to fixing the issue.

:bulb:He used a cut-off wheel on the resin holding the bracket edges to the inner bumper wall and they came off just fine. He then ground the residual bumper resin smooth and bolted the MSA brackets to the car's brackets. He put what he calls "panel adhesive" on the roughed up MSA brackets' surface and pressed the bumper onto them, aligned it with the car (using shims and C-clamps - I presume) and let the adhesive set up. Voila! The bumper, she is properly aligned and firmly affixed.

Well, I guess that's what years of experience retoring cars will do for you...;)

That makes too much sense :) I only have a month of experience. The front mounted up fine, I am a bit perplexed on the rear though. On a 280, you have to drill new holes into the quarter panel for the bracket to line up. The driver side was easy enough, I already had removed the interior panel to get the in-op antenna out. THe passenger side is a different story. There is no room getting to it from the inside because the fuel filler hose has a metal sheath around it and I only leaves about 1/2 inch of room to get the bolt through. I tried flipping it and putting the bolt thru the bumper mount but I still cant get a nut in that tight area either. Another day I will get back to it.