IGNORED

Wiring Problems.

drivefaster83

Ok I have cleaned the turn signal switch, Repaired burnt wires, and spent many hours under the hood and such.. I went from not having any turn signals to it blinks once and blows the fuse. I am at wits end if anyone can help with this issue please do before I go nuts. I am looking into a new steering column for it as well as hoping someone can tell me where to get a wiring harness for my car... built in 1982 but the title says a 83 280zx non turbo , N/A , Standard tranny 5 speed. The engine is sound and so is the transmission needs trim and such but this is why she is my project car.

My advice is you need to isolate a few things to narrow the problem down.

Remove all the indicator bulbs and check their sockets for corrosion etc.

Leave them out for now so you can do some testing.

Remove the fuse and fit a 12V bulb temporarily across the fuse contacts.

Operate the indicator mechanism.

If there is still a short the bulb will glow brightly.

If not, you can then replace the bulbs 1 by 1 to see if the fuse bulb shows a short.

It is likely that the indicator mechanism is shorting but also make sure all the bulbs are the correct type.

Edited by Nissanman

• 3 months later...

Reducing the amperage thru the ssystem can also help in this case. Follow NissanMans advice and pulling and cleaning bulbs and sockets, and the fuse/bulb test.

But, you can also upgrade to an Electronic Flasher. The stock flashers are thermal and require resistance to operate. The electronic flashers use a circuit board and flash electronicly and require much less amperage to operate.

They are about $12, hook a ground wire to the (-) terminal and I think the white wire is the + and green is the Load?

And on a different note......

BARBIE!! Where the heck ya been? and How Ya been? Long time no see. What happened to your 73'? You're Lookin good, I quess thing DO get better with age. eh?

Dave

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

BARBIE!! Where the heck ya been? and How Ya been? Long time no see. What happened to your 73'? You're Lookin good, I quess thing DO get better with age. eh?

Dave

Awe, thanks, Dave. I left because I didn't feel wanted anymore (that Z31 ownership thing). ;)

That's Crazy talk. I can't imagine a Woman of your brains and Beauty not being wanted around here. I know some of us can get out of hand with dumb comments of a female nature, but you have much to offer in the Z world. We'd be stupid to Jepardize that.

Welcome back, I know I missed ya.

Dave