Battery Brain - tried it? - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Battery Brain - tried it?

Featured Replies

Probably works as advertised, but seems like a gimmick to me. No need for the electronics, just install a battery kill switch.

A battery kill switch It does the same thing. And since you would have to open the hood with a kill switch, you will "see" if there is any connector corrosion.

Might be handy if you are the forgetful type and leave your lights or whatever on.

Steve

The S30 is a simple car.... Why add struf that could get zapped...

Not just a z - zdisease

  • Author

I appreciate the response. Yeah, it does sound a little gimmicky. I was thinking that it is almost inevitable that the lights get left on. Of course I could install a buzzer/chime for that and for fewer $$$. I was also thinking that the remote for the battery cutoff might delay a thief for a few extra minutes which might be enough to catch said thief and attempt to persuade him, by any means necessary not to go around stealing other peoples hard earned belongings... Anything within reason to thwart someone stealing my beloved Z. Kill switch goes in next.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

The logical approach is to consider how often you drive your Z. I have two DD's and the Z. Keeping the battery charged up prolongs the life of the battery. Repeated full discharge or even lower charge greatly reduces battery life. I run only Optimas (they don't rot out the battery tray area) and you know how much they cost! Even sealed wet-cells are not cheap anymore. I use a 'Battery Minder' for this purpose. This 'Battery Brain' can be very useful in an offroad/camping situation where there is no 'help' and you've fallen asleep while the radio played all night. Lights left on or a door not quite closed will kill a battery. Most of us have experienced this frustration. What's it worth to you? As far as kill switches, alarms, etc, they are all easily bypassed in older vehicles like ours. I choose to pull the rotor or a couple of spark plug wires if I really want to reasonably disable my Z. Don't want them even bothering to look? Then buy a wheel boot and throw it on the DS front tire. Auto thieves get the message quick enough.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.