IGNORED

Paint Help!!

I have a 1976 Datsun 280Z. I have several paint questions.. Ok, I recently sanded the car down and going to do some minor dent repairs, and then spray primer on the whole car, and then paint it. OK my question is whats the best primer out there for our cars?? Epoxy,Lacquer, Polyester, Urethane Primers ect???? Next, How many gallons will the car take??? What type of paint should I buy?

here's two youtube vids i made in the past:

Thanks Bro's Laters:beer:

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have yourself quite a project there. Just in case you weren't aware, what you have is actually called a 280Z 2+2. Do the math and you have 4 seats. Here's some inspiration for you. Good luck and let the work begin. :)

http://www.viczcar.com/Featured-Rides/Johnny-Kostic-s-Datsun-260z-2+2.html

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2008/10/20/car-spotlight-gt-gt-260z-2-2.aspx

Edited by =Enigma=

If the car is down to metal you use etching primer which bonds to the metal. I then use PPG epoxy primer which is much better at withstanding water and UV over many others. Then ready for base coat (lots of steps in b/t of course but you asked what type) :)

I always buy PPG. I used to use Omni but the difference in quality is huge. You get what you pay for. IMO, my devilbess plus spray gun made the biggest improvement over the el cheapo HVLP guns. My clears come out glass smooth and hardly ever need to be wetsanded now :)

I would think a gallon of sprayable (after mixed with hardeners, reducers, activators etc) would be enough for the primer with a little leftover.

I know California is a different animal with automotive though so watch out for the EPA if this is a home job. I thought Cali was going to water based only.

Edited by five&dime