IGNORED

Looking for tire size input

JeffH

Hi Everyone,

Its been a while since I have posted here, but with the recent painting of my 71 24z, I have renewed enthusiasm. One thing I would like to do is to get tires which fill out the fender wells a little more, particularly in the rears. I like the look of the existing wheels (15 x 7 +10) and don't feel a pressing need to replace them. The 225/50-15 tires are pretty old/cracked and really need to be replaced. One solution I am considering is to replace the tires with the same size , but add 1/2" - 3/4" spacers in the rear. A friend of mine suggests going with a taller tires like 205/55-15 to be more period appropriate and fill out the fender wells some.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jeff

post-8350-14150807017817_thumb.jpg

post-8350-14150807018178_thumb.jpg

post-8350-14150807042906_thumb.jpg

I'm onboard with both ideas – spacers to fill the flares, and taller sidewalls for the period look. But 205/55-15 isn't measurably taller than the 225/50-15, just narrower.

Considering the stance of the car, I'd think about staying with 225/50 on the front, and 225/55 on the rear, except the 225/55-15 size is damn rare these days. That being the case, the only way you're going to get taller is to go narrower. Perhaps 205/55-15 front, and 215/60-15 rear.

I have some 18 X 8.5 toyo's with a 45 mm spacer on mine.....you should try some 17's if you want to fill up the gap with a 35mm spacer.... let me know, I can show you some really good rims that would give you alot of credit on the streets, especially from the younger crowds....Nobody says $^!# about my rims, cause they are pretty much the greatest racing rim of all time.....especially for nissans..

There are so many options and taste to consider. Price also plays a part in your decision. Although the selection of good 225/50-15 tires are getting scarce. If you use a spacer just don't forget to periodically retorque the spacer (it is so easy to forget because it is behind the wheel). I prefer to use a wider wheel, but that cost more money. Wheels are always a very subjective subject.

I have some 18 X 8.5 toyo's with a 45 mm spacer on mine.....you should try some 17's if you want to fill up the gap with a 35mm spacer.... let me know, I can show you some really good rims that would give you alot of credit on the streets, especially from the younger crowds....Nobody says $^!# about my rims, cause they are pretty much the greatest racing rim of all time.....especially for nissans..

Is this post for real? Who the hell worries about street cred, especially when it comes to wheels?

By the way, larger wheels do not fill out a wheel well if the rolling diameter is the same.

thanks everyone for the all the input. I will probably go teh spacer route and continue with the 225/50-15 tires. I have also thought about 16" or 17 " wheel and wider tires too but for several reason this is not a good solution now. One of my concerns here is that the car was lowered by one of the previous owners by cutting the springs ad with the new flares I have no idea how tire I run without rubbing. The car's steering is also very heavy heavy and adding more tire will make worse (my wife's complaint). Thirdly, I just dropped a bunch $$$ into the paint and body work and I don't really want to fork out the cash for new tires an wheels ( once again the wife factor).

I have been looking for 20mm spacers on Ebay. I know I need 4 x 114.3. Does any know if the 4 bolt spacers for a 240sx will work?

Thanks

Jeff