IGNORED

size of wire

cbudvet

My car is in the shop with all my books so I can't look this up. I want to look into rebuilding the wiring harness for my 240z and dont know what gauge wire to purchase. While I am at it, does anyone have good source for wire? I have seen previous threads about connectors so hopefully I can find everything from those. Thanks.

Carl

There is not one gauge wire that will do it all. It depends on the Amps needed to power each end device and the length of wire needed to connect them. Here is a handy chart to help you select the appropriate wire gauge. Wire is like everything else as far as getting what you pay for. You don't want to cheap out on wire. Do your research before taking on a task such as this. I would hate to see you destroy your existing harness unecessarily, removing connectors incorrectly or whatnot. Some may need to be reused, depending how faithful to original you plan on doing it. Look into incorporating relays into the circuits where it would be beneficial in order to reduce heat damage and the risk of fire.

http://www.rbeelectronics.com/wtable.htm