IGNORED

Delphi fuel Pump any good?

ramsesosirus

Well I've pretty much ruled out getting the Airtex/Master pump since I've heard bad things about them.

The Bosch one is 275, a little too much for me.

The Delphi one is about 160, so it is a middle ground. I checked my old pump in the car and it does not appear to be a stock one, so a rebuilt one/send back core isn't possible either.

Anyone used Delphi? I know they are GM's supplier for many parts (although I believe they went out of business a few years ago). The O'Reilly site lists Delphi as "actual OE part" which sounds good.

I am hesitant to get the Bosch in case I have other problems (fuel tank, etc...) that would make it go out.

I plan to put a new regulator in and a G3 filter back there between tank and pump while I am at it. The G3 will fit in the stock fuel line, right? It looks pretty big (from the tank to pump). G3 has 3/8" connectors.

Thanks, any advice is appreciated!

And I know sblake suggested OEM pump, which I what I would go with if money was no issue, and I take great stake in his advice and experience. his advice is what leads me away from the Airtex one. I just wondered about Delphi specifically.

THANKS, I will be ordering a pump/reg today so I have it next week.

Who sells it? Don't see it on the O'Reilly site. I've not heard of a Delphi fuel pump for a Datsun. I'd be tempted to try the Carter inline fuel pump that Checker/Shucks/Kragen/Murrays/O'Reilly (depending on where you are) sells. Part number P70304. It costs about $30 less than the Delphi.

Edited by sblake01

http://www.oreillyautoparts.com/EW3/DisplayTheParts.do?categoryIndex=6&didSearchFor=Fuel+Pump&vehicle=1976NISSAN280Z6-2754%202.8L&bid=1238178470011&cycleCount=839

There's the link to the pump; I assumed Delphi made it; I've read bad things about Carter when I googled it. It's down to deciding between the Delphi and the Bosch, about 110 dollar difference.

Fuel damper should be fine if its not leaking, right?

Thanks sblake.

I found a pic elsewhere and it looks just like the one on my car now. Also looks like the airtex. I know the stock one is a little bigger diameter.

I plan to order one tonight.

Edited by 280ZSS

The reason I mentioned the Carter pump is that I had no problems when I used their pumps on American cars that I owned in the past. I've never used one on a Datsun nor do I have any experience with the Delphi pump. The damper should be fine. I've never had a problem with the fuel damper on my cars and only know of one case where someone I know had a problem with one.

Delphi went through a Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization a couple of years ago, but they did not go out of business. They are still in operation, but I did not know that they made parts for Nissan products. Mostly I am familiar with their rack and pinion steering systems.

I know because they are a customer of ours, and in the bankruptcy they essentially got one of our machines for free. (took delivery and didn't have to pay for it. That is how chapter 11 works I gather.)